Skip to main content

There's no place like home . . .

As many of you know, I am the overly-involved mother of three and wife of one. When my children are involved in something, I tend to become a little involved as well - as much as they'll let me. And trust me, they haven't always wanted me there and so I have for the most part quietly receded away. And then there are times, when it seems I go overboard!! 


I have spent the last three weeks of my life totally consumed with Oz - Wizard of Oz at Holland High School. While I wasn't in the play - I am experiencing a little of the actors' let down at final curtain. The sense of, "now what"? 


It was an incredible experience. I operated as a kind of volunteer coordinator for my fellow parents and then as a sort of box office/house manager for the performances. I really got to know the cast and, to a person, love those Ozzians and Munchkins!! A bonus for me, as a school of choice parent, was getting to know so many of the Holland school parents. An awesome group if there ever was one! 


The best part was watching all but two of the 8 performances and seeing the changes and improvements in each performance. An amazing production for a high school! And watching Delaney blossom as Glinda was certainly the icing on the cake! I cherished each moment she was on the stage - and fervently prayed that her voice would be okay for the last two performances when her cold settled in her throat and chest and made her sound like a three-pack-a-day smoker! She battled through and am told that her acted like a true professional when met with this challenge.


Now, I have to get my head out of Oz and back to home. After all, there is no place like home and Christmas is just 13 days away and I haven't even begun to put a dent in my Christmas shopping list, I haven't even purchased Christmas cards, the only cookies I've baked are the ones I baked last week to appease John's nighttime sweet tooth and I have put up only the most minimal Christmas decorations! I know it will all get done, but is sure seems to be a monumental task at this point. And the best place to start is the very beginning, finding my Christmas spirit. I know it's here someplace!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Work of art or a work in progress!

Last fall, I was asked if I wanted my portrait painted as part of an exhibit entitled "Moving Through the Unimaginable". The requester was a young woman I have long admired, but for the moment I began to doubt my admiration for her because she described the exhibit's subjects as having 'endured adversity or trauma or disease with grace'. I didn't initially see how I fit into that description, but after some discussion with my hubby and reflection, Whitney's (the requester) esteem in my eyes was restored and I agreed. I was looking at myself through my own eyes. Know what I mean?? I don't see myself as exuding any grace as I've 'endured' my experience with M.S. In actuality, I get quite ticked on days like today when the sun is shining and everyone seems to be out enjoying the sunshine and balmy 42 degrees (I live in Michigan and 42 in March is a heat wave!) walking their dog, or biking or just walking. I know my pure-bred mutt Wall...