Skip to main content

When you encounter a totally different reality

John and I arrived early for an appointment (for those of you that know my husband, you know that this is not infrequent! The story of arriving three hours early for a flight to Phoenix from Midway still gets repeated and laughed about when the 'kids' get together). We found a seat and the waiting room began to fill.

We had chosen seats away from the TV where NBC's Today Show was playing, so we couldn't see what was on the screen.

Another couple sat before the TV and provided commentary and as the time progressed provided a glimpse into a total different 'reality'.

"Oh I can't even stand to look at him. He's so evil"

"What is wrong with his hair?"

"This administration will do down in history as the worst ever."

"The federal government is taking over the states. There's going to be a civil war, just you wait."

"They just let all those illegal aliens in and then they're going to give them weapons to take over."

And on it went. The first two comments, I thought for sure were about the former President and the next about his administration. But they were instead about the current President and his administration. Two totally different realities. The comments got more vitriolic and far from the reality I see and hear and read about. They were upset that the state of Texas went to all the effort of putting up razor wire to keep those 'illegal aliens' out of 'our country' only to have the federal government cut it down. And they were convinced that all those aliens were going to get weapons to help the feds fight in the civil war.

It was alarming to hear and it took all my self-control not to engage in a conversation. But snippets have remained with me and continue to alarm me. This couple lives here in West Michigan but it may as well be another country. I know that this dichotomy exists, I've experienced some of it within my family, but I didn't realize just how divided we have become. And I don't know how to close the precipice that exists.

Since this is a blog about living positively, however, I cannot end on that dire note. Instead, I will put this thought out there. When we encounter situations like this, respond if possible, but respond with an open heart. The worst thing to do is to go on the attack, which might feel like the only thing to do in the moment. I have to remind myself that there is a totally different diet of information being fed and consumed out there - it's what some people know as 'reality'. 



And I pray that the divide can be healed. Because we know that Jesus is represented by a dove and that a dove is a symbol for peace.

Comments

  1. We walk amongst them, everyday, and it scares me to death.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...