Skip to main content

When a small town is huge



 In the movie "it's a Wonderful Life", the protagonist George Bailey has longed nearly his whole life to 'shake off the dust of this crummy little town off my feet," to see the world. But Bedford Falls, that crummy little town, felt differently about George. And with the help of a quirky guardian angel, George eventually sees that his life and his town were pretty wonderful.

Good lord, but I love that movie and it's characters and it's moral and that small town. I watch it every year at least twice and still cry every time. And I wonder too about the man that pushes the devious Mr. Potter's wheelchair and stands by his side- you know the man, he looks a little like Lurch from "The Addams Family". I wonder, what was he thinking as he listened and watched his boss ruin the lives of everyone he could. What kind of an Non-disclosure agreement did he sign, to keep him silent as he stood by and watched Potter pocket the money Uncle Billy was depositing, then calling the sheriff on George for 'cooking the books' at Bailey's Savings and Loan. He stood by Potter's side as George, completely bereft, begged to his nemesis Potter for help. I wonder, what was he thinking? 



Boy, did I go off on a tangent - guess that happens when you've seen a movie a gazillion times!!

Because, what I started to write about was the beauty of a small town and the joys of residing in one. I largely grew up in suburbs of large cities and knew a little of that joy but as a teenager I didn't want, at times, to be seen or known. Like driving faster than the speed limit (may still happen) and having a neighbor or two call my Mom to tell.

As an adult, I treasure so many aspects of small town living and was reminded recently of a few of those.

The pharmacist, Mark, at Saugatuck Drug is the best example. One of my prescriptions, Provigil, is very expensive and is not considered necessary under the insurance code of 'let's cut our costs at the expense of the customer'. I need it to not sleep 60 percent of my day. Anyway, Mark has always looked for ways or options to reduce my out-of-pocket and when I switched insurers recently he said he couldn't match the big-box pharmacies. I felt like we were breaking up! Then when John went to get a prescription there, Mark wrote me a note saying he found a source and could now offer a better price for me. Would Walgreens do that? Walmart? CVS?

Another recent example, is our local auto repair shop. I had my Mini in about a month ago for an oil change and for them to check the brakes. They said the brakes needed to be repaired but I could go a little bit longer and they would cost about $1,200. Yikes. Well, the brakes started making noise and I called to schedule the repair. Amber, who manages the desk, and is an admirable young woman I know, said she couldn't get me in until the first available December 12 but would call if anything opened up. She knows the car and me. would your big town dealership or repair shop?

I know there are certainly trade offs - like not a lot of options for theater or movies or sports. for me, those are things were driving for (well, after my brakes are replaced at least). Not having to drive, to have a pharmacist or mechanic that knows and values you is huge. And it makes this small town living priceless.

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Work of art or a work in progress!

Last fall, I was asked if I wanted my portrait painted as part of an exhibit entitled "Moving Through the Unimaginable". The requester was a young woman I have long admired, but for the moment I began to doubt my admiration for her because she described the exhibit's subjects as having 'endured adversity or trauma or disease with grace'. I didn't initially see how I fit into that description, but after some discussion with my hubby and reflection, Whitney's (the requester) esteem in my eyes was restored and I agreed. I was looking at myself through my own eyes. Know what I mean?? I don't see myself as exuding any grace as I've 'endured' my experience with M.S. In actuality, I get quite ticked on days like today when the sun is shining and everyone seems to be out enjoying the sunshine and balmy 42 degrees (I live in Michigan and 42 in March is a heat wave!) walking their dog, or biking or just walking. I know my pure-bred mutt Wall...