Skip to main content

Momma Bear's Peri-Menopausal and Pissed

It's a great image isn't it? Picture it - a mother bear, overheated and sweating, growling bearing her teeth while swatting at what ever comes in her way. It may not be the image I want related to me most times, but recently it's one that seems to fit!


Someone messed with my cub and I am one pissed off Momma Bear!!


I have had to take a chill pill - in this case a few deep breaths and a couple hours mulling over how to respond. Because I didn't want the person I would be swatting at to go on the defensive. I just wanted him to go down!!! 


I'll let you know the result.


            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


For a totally different picture of this Momma Bear, one of her cubs is about to leave the den. She's been through this before when her oldest cub left the den for the woods at Wabash, so she has been fooling herself into thinking that the second cub would be easier. Hell no! Many times lately this Momma Bear has had to retreat to her private den to wipe the tears or clear the lumps from her throat.


It's a sad reality - we raise our children to leave us. And if we've done a good job of readying them for the world it's likely that they're good kids - you know the kind you like to have around and not the kind you want out of the house sooner than later. And my cubs (so far) have been good kids - and now Matthew has one foot out the door and is so, so, so ready to be a Tiger at the woods of DePauw. And I want that for him, I really do. But I can feel the space he will leave empty in our den and tears well in my eyes.


(I had to take a little break there to wipe my eyes!)


While it is sad to watch them leave, it is incredibly joyful to watch them become the people they will be. I love talking with my cubs - and marvel at the adults they're becoming. And that is what I will hold on to in the coming months - that and the fact the Matthew, like his brother, will occasionally come back to the den.


It's bound to be an emotional couple months!
Matthew at his kindergarten Halloween party.

Comments

  1. When the chill-pill wears off.......RIP 'EM TO SHREDS MAMA BEAR!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...