Skip to main content

Dick Clark

I know I don't look, or act, old enough but Dick Clark was a huge part of my childhood and adolescence. 


I watched American Bandstand on Saturdays throughout my school years. I loved to dance and I could watch and dance along with the 'really groovy' dancers on the Bandstand. It was my view into the latest music, dance moves, and fashion! I could see what the girls from the big city of Philly were wearing and try to adorn myself in something similar in the big suburbs. Next to Seventeen magazine, it was my best source for fashion!!


Now mind you this is 'back in the day' when most homes only had one TV. And I don't think ours was color until the mid-to-late 70s. So, I would have to announce to my four siblings that it was my turn for the TV at 12:30 when the Bandstand came on. You can imagine the number of times actually sibling warfare broke out - you know name-calling, pillows flying, arms flailing. Often times we'd end up laughing. And then later they might laugh at me when they watched my boogie to the Bandstand!


When I was in high school - I was huge- huge - into disco. I had the Candies (and now the bunions to prove it!) and the Danskin leotard/skirt to go to the discos. I even entered a couple contests with my buddy Jim Chouinard, who loved to dance but would still say that he thought 'disco sucked'. It may be one of those memories reinventing itself, but I think we won a contest or two. So when the Bee Gees made an appearance - I was beside myself to watch them sync to the songs from Saturday Night Fever and to see what the dancers would be wearing.


I learned all about lip-syncing from watching the bandstand. So I wasn't shocked in the 80s when Milli Vanilli was caught doing the lip-sync. Heck they probably got it from watching the bandstand! Only I think the acts on the Bandstand used their own voices for the sync.


All the while, throughout my youth, Dick Clark never seemed to age. It wasn't really until his stroke that you could see the years on his face. He always seemed so kind - to the musical guests and teens in the audience. One of my favorite times in the show was when Dick Clark would sit in the bleachers with the teens to 'talk' and then introduce the next act. He seemed genuine.


So, I was a little sad to hear of his passing. Though after seeing him this past New Year's Rocking Eve, I can say that he didn't look or seem well. Good bye, Dick and thank you for many Saturday's and the many memories bestowed.
   



Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Hair today gone tomorrow

Before you all begin to think I’m breezing completely through chemo, let me remind you of this:   For the most part I am bald. Or if not completely bald, fuzzy headed, and not in the way I think or am thinking, but in the appearance. A little like a hedgehog or a porcupine with bald patches. On Super Bowl Sunday while most of you were overeating or filling out those little squares to wager on the upcoming game, John and I were having a unique pre-game party. In front of our bathroom mirror with clippers and scissors. Preparing for the certainty of hair loss from my chemo, I decided to buzz my locks to lessen the shock and mess of of losing large chunks of my silver, shoulder-length hair. It was in all honesty one of the most poignant moments in our 30+  year marriage. I had originally asked my friend and former stylist if she could do it . But when I shared my plan with John, he said that he wanted to do it. Certainly that was not expected. So instead of watching th...