Skip to main content

Smiley faces, gold stars and achievement

Day six of my daily Wii-Fit routine.  (Well. actually day five since I had to miss Saturday for Delaney's singing competition at Western Michigan University where I had to schlep from the parking ramp to the music building and back a few times which felt like exercise enough so that by the time I got home, I was too tired to Wii).

I enjoy some of the activities or exercises more than others - including the marching band, Kung Fu and boxing. If you're not familiar with Wii Fit, I'm sure it sounds fairly lame and not much of an 'exercise'. But for someone who is way out of shape, it's a start and kind of fun! For the marching band, I imagine the high school band director, Andrew Holtz, snickering as I often march out of rhythm. And I remember Matthew laughing at me (not with) when he saw me doing the Kung Fu and John did the same when he saw me boxing. I now do Wii in the privacy of the basement when no one is around so I don't have any more memories of inciting laughter!

I must confess to being secretly thrilled, however, when I receive the highest score (where I receive a gold crown) and the compliments of my Wii trainer! It is a lot like the smiley faces and gold stars we receive in elementary school for a job well done!


I am looking forward to reaching that three-week mark when research has proven that a new activity becomes a routine. There was a time when I exercised daily or nearly every day - I remember the feeling and that's what I want to get back to - that feeling of needing and loving the work out. Only 15 more days!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...