Skip to main content

Growing pains


John sent me this article a few months back and I cannot tell you how many times it has resonated with me - especially with our oldest, Michael.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/booming/when-theyre-grown-the-real-pain-begins.html?_r=0

Michael is graduating from Wabash College in May and will be attending law school in the fall. The search for law schools has been totally on his shoulders and I have been amazed at how different this is from when he was looking for colleges. While he was in the driver's seat for the college search, John and I were always there as passengers; visiting colleges, weighing the options and sharing our opinions. The college search process has a place for parents - the admissions counselors always meet with us and we are often as much a target of their marketing/sales pitch as the student. Not so for law or graduate schools - we only know what Michael shares with us.

And that's the way it should be, I know. I have caught myself going online to research law schools and know that this time, my opinion can only be offered after an invitation. No surprise that none has been offered - except maybe to John who is the attorney and been through the process. We weren't even sure if it would be  kosher to go along on visits - we didn't want to be the only parents along with our adult child on a visit! Again, though, Michael asked John and he will be joining him on two upcoming visits.

It's challenging, this new role. As mom, I was the one that they often came to for advise or for a listening ear but the older they get (this includes Matthew now, too) the more often they seek the ear and counsel of their father. The questions and concerns are often more in his area of expertise. Michael and Matthew seem to know that - but they also seem to know that sometimes if they just need to talk or vent or laugh, they can count on mom.

I digress . . . the new role of parent with adult children and who have adult concerns is new to me. When we came home with our babies and a thousand questions on how to care for and raise these bundles, we referred to books or magazines (the internet was in it's infancy then too!). There are thankfully online articles we can refer to - but wouldn't a support group be nice? I am grateful that I have several friends in the same parenting stage and we can share our laments over a glass or two of wine. We are charting unknown-to-us territory so it's nice to have fellow explorers.

My apologies to Michael, though - it's not easy being the firstborn because I learn right along with you. I just hope my mistakes don't land you in long-term therapy!!


Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

The Glass may be half full - but the plate is overflowing!

I have written many blogs this week - but have posted none. Not one of them seemed to ring true to what I was thinking or feeling this past week - I have been too scattered, unable to focus and more than a little ADD. It's because my plate is overflowing! Matthew and the Saugatuck football team snagged a place on the field at Ford Field after a nail-biter today. All along, this was a team that wasn't predicted to go far this season; they were young and there weren't many of them. Each of the playoff games have been a gift - and for a couple days prior to these games it has been difficult for this new football fan to sleep. Stress!!! And then Delaney is in rehearsal for her first play at Holland High school - The Three Musketeers. She is in a different school and in many ways, especially during this playoff season, a different world! Her rehearsals are nightly, including Fridays and she has had to miss the playoff games.  I've had to arrange transportation for ou...