Skip to main content

Follow the money

I sat down for breakfast yesterday, reading the daily paper (more like perusing actually) and then the National Multiple Sclerosis' Michigan chapter newsletter. These two seemingly unrelated choices of reading material had a whole lot in common yesterday, though, and they caused my blood to boil and to get my 'Irish up".

One of the obits in the paper was for a 51 year-old woman- her family was requesting donations be sent to the MS Society. (I confess to now reading the obits - something I used to believe only old people read. But since I'm NOT old and I'm reading the obits, I guess I was wrong!) Just last week, I learned of another person with MS that had died at a young age of 50-something.

In the MS newsletter, a rather slim edition filled mostly with fundraising events, I read about the 'promising research' partially funded by the MS Society. I wanted to scream!

"In 1993, Betaseron was released to market," the article began, "as the first disease-modifying therapy for multiple sclerosis. With the approval of Tecfidera in March, we now have ten disease modifying therapies (three of them oral medications) to treat relapsing forms of MS - and more on the horizon."  To the average reader that seems like great news - that there are now so many fabulous options for those with this disease. Note that three of the new 'therapies' (I prefer to call them what they are, drugs.) are oral so that means that seven are given either by injection (daily, a couple times a week or weekly) or by infusion at a clinic or hospital on schedule ranging from monthly to quarterly.

Why this particular article made me lose my temper and nearly made me lose my breakfast is really not complicated. When I was diagnosed with MS 21 years ago, my neurologist advised that a cure was on the horizon. "I can see, with all the new research, a cure  will be found in the next five years," he said. A cure wasn't found and hasn't been found but two years after my diagnosis, in 1993 Betaseron was approved. And that, I believe, is when the focus from finding a cure for MS went instead to finding more drugs to stall the progression of MS. These drugs cost $20,000+ a year. And that's not chump change. And now with a diagnosis, neurologists are prescribing one these drugs to halt the progression.

Eighty percent of all people with MS have the relapsing-remitting form of the disease - these are the people the pharmaceuticals companies are investing their (and the MS Society's) dollars on. The remaining people with MS, like me, have some form of progressive MS. Mine is called secondary progressive; after having relapsing-remitting for 15 years my disease has now progressed to where  I have symptoms all the time and rely on a cane to walk. In the newsletter, they addressed the research into 'treatments' for progressive forms this way - the Society plans to do all that it can to speed up development of these treatments. To me, that meant one thing.


Follow the money.

Why would any company be interested in eradicating MS when there is so much money to be made from stalling it's progression. Simple math - at $20,000 a year times 15 years, that's $300,000 per patient. And even though my disease has progressed I am still prescribed one of these 'therapies' for relapsing remitting (because they are now researching it's efficacy for progressive forms). So, in short, I am worth a boat load of cash to a pharmaceutical company. Hell, I've paid some exec's salary for a year.

In the meantime, while young people are dying from complications related to MS, the research continues on how to keep this money train of big pharma on track. And new people are diagnosed all the time. And I worry, because of the hereditary factor of this disease (both of my sisters also have this disease) and my children and niece and nephews are nearing the age of onset. And the research into a cure has stalled.

But I am only one voice. And the issue seems so much bigger than what one voice can call attention to. I sent an email to the Society's medical director a few years ago, complaining that most the research updates were on new drugs and that most of the ad space in the publication were from the very companies the Society should be watch-dogging on behalf of the people with MS. I received a curt response that I then copied to the then executive director of the Society - and she responded quickly with an apology and public -relations like response to my complaints. 

I guess I should quit reading their publications. I do now advise that if you're looking to donate money to help MS, it's best to give it to the MS Foundation. They give grants directly to people with MS to help improve their lives and have programs that give cooling devices and adaptive technology to those that need them. They don't seem to support big pharma. That's my Pollyanna spin on this dismal topic.

Comments

  1. Dismal but so glad to hear your take. Horrifyingly believable... Now, don't stop talking about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Hair today gone tomorrow

Before you all begin to think I’m breezing completely through chemo, let me remind you of this:   For the most part I am bald. Or if not completely bald, fuzzy headed, and not in the way I think or am thinking, but in the appearance. A little like a hedgehog or a porcupine with bald patches. On Super Bowl Sunday while most of you were overeating or filling out those little squares to wager on the upcoming game, John and I were having a unique pre-game party. In front of our bathroom mirror with clippers and scissors. Preparing for the certainty of hair loss from my chemo, I decided to buzz my locks to lessen the shock and mess of of losing large chunks of my silver, shoulder-length hair. It was in all honesty one of the most poignant moments in our 30+  year marriage. I had originally asked my friend and former stylist if she could do it . But when I shared my plan with John, he said that he wanted to do it. Certainly that was not expected. So instead of watching th...