Skip to main content

Feather-brained with a nearly empty nest

When my nest was full and a flurry of near-constant activity, I had it together. I could nearly effortlessly balance the demands of being an overly-involved mother of three,supportive spouse, community volunteer, freelance writer and social butterfly. I was often busy  but I felt focused. I could handle the demands of many; many people and many organizations. If someone needed a volunteer - I was their woman. And I would get the job done. If the kids needed a chaperon for a field trip they'd often volunteer me without asking knowing that I'd do it.

Now the nest is emptying, with only one not-so-little Piggins at home. And she is rarely in the nest, busy with the life of a high-school senior. That's the way it should be, I know, yet it seems so strange. 

I know that a lot of my fellow moms know about which I write. Can I get an Amen?!

I've been anticipating these days. But it doesn't mean I prepared for them. When I was expecting Michael, I read every book or magazine I could get my chubby pregnant hands on - to be prepared. While expecting Matthew, I did some speed-reading of all those tomes and added books or articles about the arrival of number 2. And while expecting Delaney, I shopped for baby items that were not blue and may have by then had access to some articles on iVillage.com since like Delaney, the Internet was in its infancy. While all my preparation didn't fully prepare me, I feel completely ill-prepared for this next stage of my life.

Because not only is the nest emptying, but I feel that a few of my brain cells have also flown the coop. My focus isn't as sharp and while that could be because I'm still trying to figure out what is next, it's a foreign experience for me. I'm muddling through and seemingly waiting for the next big thing. I pray daily that God will show me - and then I wonder, did He show me the way and I miss the sign. I pray that it will be as clear as the ones He gave to Moses or Mary, because I might be a little slow on the uptake. (A friend reminded me however that if God is giving you a sign, there will be no mistaking it.)

I have in earnest been writing my book and have four chapters done and the fifth in draft stages and when I sit down to write, I feel completely directed. So maybe that's it. I could become the oldest first-time novelist in history! Perhaps that sense of 'rightness' I feel when writing is the sign. Like I said, 'slow on the uptake'.

I believe after 23 years of focus on others, mostly my wonderful children and hubby, it's a challenge to move that focus onto something else - especially me!! If anyone has suggestions, I am sure open to them!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Work of art or a work in progress!

Last fall, I was asked if I wanted my portrait painted as part of an exhibit entitled "Moving Through the Unimaginable". The requester was a young woman I have long admired, but for the moment I began to doubt my admiration for her because she described the exhibit's subjects as having 'endured adversity or trauma or disease with grace'. I didn't initially see how I fit into that description, but after some discussion with my hubby and reflection, Whitney's (the requester) esteem in my eyes was restored and I agreed. I was looking at myself through my own eyes. Know what I mean?? I don't see myself as exuding any grace as I've 'endured' my experience with M.S. In actuality, I get quite ticked on days like today when the sun is shining and everyone seems to be out enjoying the sunshine and balmy 42 degrees (I live in Michigan and 42 in March is a heat wave!) walking their dog, or biking or just walking. I know my pure-bred mutt Wall...