Skip to main content

Could hear a pin drop

In one of the noisiest places in Saugatuck, last night you could hear a pin drop.
For what seemed an eternity to me,  (it was only a minute or two) Phil's was completely quiet. 

After a lovely night out and dinner celebrating our empty-again nest, I tried to get off my stool at our table, (note the operative word here is 'tried') I could sense things weren't going to end well as they began falling apart. That hardwood stool, the one next to it and me and my hard head all crashed loudly to the hardwood floor. It was loud enough to silence an entire, noisy restaurant. While laying on the floor, I saw many pairs of shoes and boots (there was a pair of tan leather boots that I particularly liked) gather round and I heard many people;

"Oh, my gosh, are you okay?"
"Did she pass out?" (that one to John)
"Can I help you up?"
"What can I do?"

I wanted to crawl on my hands and knees to the door - because while my head hurt a little, my pride hurt a lot. I did not want to have to stand up to face the many people in that packed restaurant. And I thought the Bible verse was the 'pride goeth before the fall' because my pride was wounded but very much present. It didn't go anywhere!

It was silent until I stood, and all could see that I appeared unscathed. And then slowly the talking continued. And then I started to apologize to John, to our sweet waitress, to the woman on the stool behind me that I think I grabbed on the way down, to the strangers who'd come to John's aid in getting me up, to the bartender (a man we've known since moving to Saugatuck) and then to every person that made eye contact with me on the way out. My apologies were for scaring them, or disrupting the restaurant, or grabbing them (the woman behind me) or for being a less than easy date (to John).

As I told John on the way home, I do not like being the center of attention unless I want to be the center of attention. I don't want to fear going out anymore than I already do and the incident last night will only add to that fear unless I find a way to nip it in the bud. I want to be an example of living positively with MS but if I continue to have experiences like last night, it'll be even more challenging. 

When we got home, my head was hurting a lot more and so I took 4 ibuprofen and cuddled on the couch with my worried hubby.

I saw an ad this morning for a tshirt that read "I'm not drunk, I have MS" and thought I could go back to Phil's next Saturday wearing that shirt and helmet - making light of those moments of silence and my embarrassment. John said that would be an even greater embarrassment for me and that in all likelihood, everyone else has already forgotten. 

He's probably right. And I hope by next Saturday, this Saturday will seem like a distant memory.

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...