Skip to main content

Not your average church lady


I spent this morning at Bible Study Fellowship where I'm a group leader. This afternoon, I spent 2 1/2 hours online shopping for supplies for a simulcast we are hosting at our church. More specifically, the simulcast is sponsored by our women's ministry - the ministry I volunteered to lead about a year ago. And then later this afternoon, I emailed & texted & called about a fundraising event our women's ministry is hosting in about 3 weeks. I had a conversation with our Pastor this evening. And just a short while ago, I worked on my Bsf lesson (while sipping my Cabernet).

And it hit me - a comical thought if there ever was one ...
I've become the church lady!!

Now isn't that special!
And crazy??!!

The 20-something Kathleen Bowen is certainly rolling over in her boozy or hung-over stooper and saying something like "What? Are you crazy? I haven't been to church in a really long time!"

And while I'm a long way from THAT 20-something version of myself, I'm certainly NOT your average church lady.

I say inappropriate (often funny) things. And sometimes they're even said in church or Bible study.

I enjoy my glass or two of wine. White in the summer and red the other 10 months (hey, I live in Michigan!).

I laugh at bawdy jokes. Watch TV shows with a MA rating (House of Cards, Law & Order SVU, Orange is the New Black) and read a lot of non-Christian literature. I'm politically liberal and a feminist (and think if Jesus were here now that he would be also).

Yet, here I am in leadership roles in church and studying the Word. The church lady.

And grateful to be here at this time in my life.
And that is special!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Ten Year

When I was in junior high school, I staged a sit-in and learned about 'ten year'. This will come as a total surprise to most of you readers - I was not a perfectly well behaved child. I know, I know - you're shocked, amazed, in wonder how I could have turned out to be so well-behaved despite the oats sown in my youth.  And the sit-in is a perfect example of how I marched to the beat of my own drummer. Miss Brown was an English teacher - and not a very popular one. She would invoke the yardstick on wayward student's hands and scowl the moment we walked into the classroom. We weren't very kind to Miss Brown but then she wasn't very kind to us, either. Personally, the hardest part of having Miss Brown as an English teacher is that she nearly ruined my love of my favorite topic in school. It was the year we were to learn grammar (have I ever mentioned that as a writer I detest grammar?). I think some new way of teaching English was introduced and in all l...

When you encounter a totally different reality

John and I arrived early for an appointment (for those of you that know my husband, you know that this is not infrequent! The story of arriving three hours early for a flight to Phoenix from Midway still gets repeated and laughed about when the 'kids' get together). We found a seat and the waiting room began to fill. We had chosen seats away from the TV where NBC's Today Show was playing, so we couldn't see what was on the screen. Another couple sat before the TV and provided commentary and as the time progressed provided a glimpse into a total different 'reality'. "Oh I can't even stand to look at him. He's so evil" "What is wrong with his hair?" "This administration will do down in history as the worst ever." "The federal government is taking over the states. There's going to be a civil war, just you wait." "They just let all those illegal aliens in and then they're going to give them weapons to take...

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling

I put my pride aside and got my ass off the grass and into the wheelchair. {I spent a couple minutes deciding whether to put an exclamation mark after that declaration or to put the period after that statement. I think the period better suits my mood about getting said ass into the wheelchair!} On July 4, Saugatuck has a wonderfully unique parade that includes quirky participants like the artsy-fartsy campers at OxBow art colony and the LGBT members of a local foundation along with the more traditional participants like Girl Scouts, fire trucks, and local politicians. It had been a couple years since I had been to the parade, this year, though, my Mom and sister were in town and I wanted to take them. So we loaded up in the van, including Kerri's wheelchair and my own. Once we parked, John asked if I wanted to use my chair and I initially balked but then remembered that it can be a long, hot parade and it might be better to have a place to sit. So, I acquiesced and took the cha...