Skip to main content

Roll out the barrel


It seems appropriate, in a strange-only in my head-sort of way, and keeping with my theme recently of rolling, that the song playing in my head lately is 
"Roll out the barrel . . ."

As I've been rolling lately instead of walking, I seem to have added to my girth and it has landed, like a big ole roll around my mid-section. It's happened gradually over the last year and I attempted to:
1)   Deny and/or;
2)   Cover and/or;
3)   Exercise and/or;
4)   Change my diet.

Well, the "And/Or Plan" wasn't working because my waist kept expanding and with that expansion my motivation (which is minimal on a good day!) was dwindling.

So, with a roll around my midsection and "Roll out the barrel" playing in my head, I rolled into Weight Watchers three weeks ago.

I had weighed myself at home and the number on that scale was sad - but I guess I should have had my glasses on when looking because the scale at WW showed me a number that was 8 pounds sadder!! Have you ever heard of someone gaining 8 pounds at their first WW meeting??!! 

So, I came home and my darling daughter and accountability partner, Delaney, refocused me and we made our grocery list. Re-motivated, I got on the recumbent bike and rode that damn ... I mean darn bike six of seven days between weigh-ins at WW. I worked it. I ate well, not great, but better, and I exercised.

So, when I rolled in to my second WW meeting, I was confident that the scale would show I was working it . . . WRONG! I'd gained 0.2 pounds. "Roll out the barrel" played again and I almost rolled right out of that room because tears were starting to roll. But I stayed, and boy am I glad I did because had I left I would have missed the amazing support of the people at that meeting. Had I left, I would have had the mindset of a loser - and not a weight-loss loser, and based on previous experience I could have made some bad choices with that "Roll" song playing in my head. Instead, I stayed and got refocused. I was advised to turn off that song playing in my head because it wasn't working for me - bad thoughts never do. I came home and continued to make good choices the next week. I worked it. I ate well, better than the previous week, and I moved more.

So, when I rolled in this week, I was really nervous to step on the scale. I was thrilled at a 2 pound loss! I sure have to work a lot harder to lose 2 pounds than I ever did before - but age and the immobility restrictions of MS aren't going to discourage me from working it! I can't let those restrictions restrict me from moving more and eating better. After the meeting, two women I hadn't previously met, said I was an inspiration to them. ME - an inspiration to anyone at a WW meeting?? There are many inspirations - and weight losing/loss stories and these will keep me going and working it. 

So, what will meeting #4 hold for me? It all depends on me and how I roll!
I will carry the motivators - my daughter and the women in WW- with me through the week.

For now, I've got to roll - time to ride the bike!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

The Glass may be half full - but the plate is overflowing!

I have written many blogs this week - but have posted none. Not one of them seemed to ring true to what I was thinking or feeling this past week - I have been too scattered, unable to focus and more than a little ADD. It's because my plate is overflowing! Matthew and the Saugatuck football team snagged a place on the field at Ford Field after a nail-biter today. All along, this was a team that wasn't predicted to go far this season; they were young and there weren't many of them. Each of the playoff games have been a gift - and for a couple days prior to these games it has been difficult for this new football fan to sleep. Stress!!! And then Delaney is in rehearsal for her first play at Holland High school - The Three Musketeers. She is in a different school and in many ways, especially during this playoff season, a different world! Her rehearsals are nightly, including Fridays and she has had to miss the playoff games.  I've had to arrange transportation for ou...