Skip to main content

Emily Post of wheelchair etiquette

I've been in my wheelchair now for over a year - sometimes it seems like 20 and others times seems like days. Depends on a lot of things including my mood for the day (whether my 'get-up-and-go' got up and went), the weather (let's face it even the heartiest of Michiganders don't always want to venture out in blustery, snowy or icy days) and what's on the agenda (if I have a date with my hubby or going to see the not-so-little Piggins).

Another variable, about my attitude towards the wheelchair, however is what I believe I will receive from some people when they see me in the wheelchair. What I mean is, some people see ME in a wheelchair and others see me in a WHEELCHAIR. Many times someone will see me coming and give me a look of sorrow or pity - it's a look that gets under my skin and makes me want to scream "You don't see me -I'm not pitiful I'm in a wheelchair!" (actually, what I want to scream sometimes includes a few four-letter words!) I am still the same Kathleen Piggins - sometimes brash, sometimes funny, sometimes mellow, sometimes theatrical and always strong-willed. (John likes to call me stubborn, but I'm strong-willed and there's a difference!) So when I get that look of pity, I know for sure they don't know me, and all they see is the wheelchair. 

My sister, Kerri, has had a few more years than me four-wheeling and I have learned a lot while watching her gracefully navigate this world while rolling. One thing for certain, after you spend just a short while with Kerri, you forget she's in a wheelchair - almost nothing stops her (she IS stubborn!) and her beautiful smile and quick wit soon charm the most irascible. But she, too, has received the sorrowful look and I once asked her (this was before I was rolling too) how she handled it. And she told me to just ignore it that some people just don't understand. So, I'm trying to ignore those looks from people but I thought I'd use my blog to let the gazillion readers (give or take a few million!) know a few points of etiquette:

~    When you see a person in a wheelchair - don't stare! (Children do it frequently and they often ask about my 'stroller' and that's okay. Not so much from an adult. And yes it happens.)
~    When you see a person in a wheelchair - don't give them a look of sorrow or pity. Most don't want your pity, we don't want to be seen as pitiful or different.
~     If you see a person four-wheeling that is struggling to do something like open a door or navigate a ramp - don't just open the door or give them a push, ask them first if they would like help. It feels more respectful.
~    If you're using a public restroom and there are plenty of open stalls, don't take the accessible stall because you never know when someone might roll in and the accessible stall is the only one they can use.

I know as soon as I finish this, I will think of a few more points of etiquette. Feel free to add them below (if you have any). Or if you have a question, post it here too - if I don't have an answer I'll ask someone wiser.

Got to go sip from my half-full glass!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...