Skip to main content

Navigating the world while four-wheeling

Rain, rain, go away.
Don't come back another day.
My hair is frizzy.
Barometric pressure makes me dizzy.
If I go out, wet I'll be.
No umbrella hand free to protect me.


I'm no Longfellow! And I don't think I'd win a poetry slam, but you get the idea.
Rainy days, even when they're not Mondays, get me down. Because when you're navigating the world while four-wheeling, rain presents additional challenges.

Last week, for example, the wind was blowing hard enough to blow my wheelchair seat cushion off my car where I'd placed it while removing my chair.
It landed in a puddle, upside down, and rested there long enough that the absorbent material in the comfy cushion absorbed quite a bit of water. I may have let an expletive fly, because a store clerk who was standing up against the window under the protective eave, smoking a cigarette and looking at her phone, actually looked up. She didn't come to my aid, but she looked up. Thankfully, I had a towel handy and so I wiped the cushion off best I could. I then navigated in my chair through the rain across the parking lot to get to the cut away in the sidewalk leading up to the store - which was no where near the handicap parking. The store clerk had now gone back into the store, apparently oblivious to the rain-drenched woman in the wheelchair now struggling to open the door. Thankfully a man coming out of the store did notice the rain-drenched woman and helped her open the doors.

Once inside, I realized how absorbent my cushion was because now the back of my dress was wet as well. I went into the restroom and used the hand dryer to dry off as best I could. A knock at the door alerted me to the fact that I must have been in there quite awhile. I put the cushion (still damp) back on the chair and opened the door to see the same clerk who'd been outside. She had a bucket and cleaning supplies. Apparently, this soggy customer was hindering her from cleaning the bathroom. 

"I'm sorry," I said, smiling. "My dress and cushion got pretty wet from the rain and I was trying to dry them."

"Bummer." Was the response.

Yes it was. And yes it is.

I don't want special treatment because I'm a four-wheeler. I was reminded later that there a frivolous lawsuits filed all the time that make it expensive for businesses to be accessible. I just want people to be courteous - and that's what I've always wanted. It's just now that the world is more challenging to navigate I have noticed its lack more often. I also appreciate courtesy more than ever.

So, this morning I'm looking at my to-do list (and several items require venturing out) and out the window at another rainy day. And I'm trying to decide how best to turn that list into a 'to-done' list and the potential obstacles I'll encounter while four-wheeling. And I am remembering when I didn't think twice about just 'running a few errands' - because I could run into stores or walk while carrying an umbrella. And damn it, I miss those days. 

But I will make it happen today - I'll make it a challenge of sorts. And when the errands are run and I'm back home, I know that I will have encountered some really wonderful people that I wouldn't encounter if I didn't get out there. And I'll be grateful for the people and experience. 

I just looked out the window and the sun is peeking through some clouds - I've got to go!!!!


Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...