Skip to main content

Grateful for ADA

 I loved Ireland - being there felt strangely familiar. Ive heard it described as the place fit my skins or something like it but more poetic or lyrical. We’ve been home for paver a month, but I feel it calling and know I’ll be back and to what village or townIwil be staying.

What I didn’t love, about my Motherland, however, was how difficult it was to get around. And ‘m not talking the driving on the left side of the road. I’m talking about the traversing the sidewalks and buildings while in a wheelchair. I didn’t expect alterations to the old buildings;I didn’t expect an elevator in Blarney Castle just so I could kiss a stone to gain the gift of gab (Lord knows I’ve got that already) or even an accessible entrance to the inn in Kilkenny built in 1264 (though strangely enough they had an entrance with a portable aluminum ramp). What was unexpected, however, was the lack of accessibility at some more modern buildings. And it was that oversight that’s has me appreciative of our own ADA, the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The ADA is something I’ve taken for granted since it’s been in existence the entir4e time I’ve been a four-wheeler. I am grateful to President George HW Bush for championing this legislation because it makes the life of all four-wheelers and Cane-nites just a little easier. We know that we will be able to find a parking spot in closer proximity to the door and then once we get to that door we will be able to access a building. It’s not something most people have to contemplate before they leave home, parking and going into a building, but if you have limiste3d mobility, it sure is something you think about. Because if it’s not available you won’t leave home in the first place or leaving home is a monumental task.

I was working at WOOD TV when the ADA was enacted and I recall the General Manager lamenting the fact that because of “this damn law that doesn’t serve anyone” the station was required to create two parking spaces and automatic doors that was going to cost a lot of money. At the time, I did not have my MS diagnosis and was not familiar with just what those parking spaces and door coyly mean fir a person with limited mobility. But even in my ignorance, I found how comments and attitude callous.

Having now been abroad where there is no ADA, I saw what the world is like without accessibility. In Waterford, a hilly little waterfront town with narrow streets and uneven walks, I was grateful to John was there to push my chair because I knew my arms would have been weary left on my own. I saw a young marina motorized scooter and recall thinking that would be required if I lived there and then later (after checking in to our hotel where there wasn’t an accessible entrance and an elevator that barely fit my wheelchair) wondering hope that young man managed all the other aspects of accessibility in Waterford.

So, now that I’m home, I recognize how fortunate we are that we have the ADA.
But I’m still planning to go back to Ireland!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Ten Year

When I was in junior high school, I staged a sit-in and learned about 'ten year'. This will come as a total surprise to most of you readers - I was not a perfectly well behaved child. I know, I know - you're shocked, amazed, in wonder how I could have turned out to be so well-behaved despite the oats sown in my youth.  And the sit-in is a perfect example of how I marched to the beat of my own drummer. Miss Brown was an English teacher - and not a very popular one. She would invoke the yardstick on wayward student's hands and scowl the moment we walked into the classroom. We weren't very kind to Miss Brown but then she wasn't very kind to us, either. Personally, the hardest part of having Miss Brown as an English teacher is that she nearly ruined my love of my favorite topic in school. It was the year we were to learn grammar (have I ever mentioned that as a writer I detest grammar?). I think some new way of teaching English was introduced and in all l...