Skip to main content

When it's time it's time

 When I was a child and someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, the response varied greatly through the years. Having once wanting to be a nun (I can hear the guffaws and peels of laughter now!) to an attorney (I married one and birthed two instead) to being secretary of state (diplomacy was gift) to being an actress (still love a stage!) and to being a journalist (did the latter off and on). 

Not once would I have responded to being a mother or bookstore clerk or Weight Watcher coach - but those last three turned out to be my jam. Those last three are where I have found the greatest joy, had an impact and felt most comfortable. And yesterday, I had my last Weight Watcher's workshop saying goodbye to members and to coworkers that hold a special place in my heart. As a coach, I was honored to walk alongside members as they struggled with emotional issues and self doubts but also when they gained strength and control over life-long mindsets that were holding them back. A Weight Watcher workshop is not all about recipes!



I got to stand (or sit) in front of as many as 60 members at a time (amazingly I knew their names) and lead discussions about health related topics. I loved using humor to create a safe and engaging place, hugs and high fives to support individuals and occasionally some tough love to help someone see what they couldn't see. For thirty (if I was on schedule) to forty five minutes (most often the case!) I felt in my element and where I was meant to be.

As a coach, we often hear about the impact we have on the members we serve- helping them reach goals and overcome obstacles. But here's the kicker - as a coach the members have a huge impact on us as well, an indelible mark on my heart where they will be forever. I loved my time as a WW coach - I just wish it was a role I'd found sooner in my life so I could have had more time to be a WW coach.



But when it's time, it's time.

I have a beautiful grandson who I cannot wait to be with as often as the parents allow. And I have a wonderful  husband who retired two years ago that I will now have more freedom to join in last minute or planned excursions and adventures. My life will be full, I have no doubt.

Comments

  1. Love that you were a coach! Grandkids are the best, most of the time! 😂We currently babysit our 13 month old granddaughter on Mondays. Thankfully, for the most part, she is a good baby. The older 3 - almost 8, just 6, and almost 2 1/2 every other Tuesday. Those days are 10 hour days! The 2 older are homeschooled. I usually spend about 1 1/2 hours, on those days, doing some of that which mom sends! After being a Children’s Leader for BSF for about 8 years, I ended up not doing it this year. Time to focus on the grands! ENJOY that little guy! We are thankful ours live nearby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Work of art or a work in progress!

Last fall, I was asked if I wanted my portrait painted as part of an exhibit entitled "Moving Through the Unimaginable". The requester was a young woman I have long admired, but for the moment I began to doubt my admiration for her because she described the exhibit's subjects as having 'endured adversity or trauma or disease with grace'. I didn't initially see how I fit into that description, but after some discussion with my hubby and reflection, Whitney's (the requester) esteem in my eyes was restored and I agreed. I was looking at myself through my own eyes. Know what I mean?? I don't see myself as exuding any grace as I've 'endured' my experience with M.S. In actuality, I get quite ticked on days like today when the sun is shining and everyone seems to be out enjoying the sunshine and balmy 42 degrees (I live in Michigan and 42 in March is a heat wave!) walking their dog, or biking or just walking. I know my pure-bred mutt Wall...