Skip to main content

Droopy drawers

I am about to sound like the perimenopausal, middle-age woman that I am but what is it with the droopy drawers on these teen boys?  I remember when showing your 'wears' was an embarrassment! Boys didn't want the public at-large to know if they were wearing Tidy Whities or boxers. Now it seems to be a fashion statement.


It is something that has bothered me for awhile but I had cause recently to be really bothered. There I was minding my own business waiting to pick up Delaney in front of the high school when two teens stopped in front of the van. The boy bent over to tie his shoe and gave me a full shot of his Jockeys. His pants were belted - BELTED - below his buttocks to keep them where they shouldn't be anyway. And he was worried about his untied shoe?? I thought, "Holy cow, dude, you got bigger problems than an untied shoe!" He stood, and get this, adjusted his pants and walked away- like a penguin he walked! And I was reminded of Dick VanDyke dancing with the penguins in "Mary Poppins". (It's not the best quality, but I included a picture of that scene, below). After Delaney got in the car and we drove on, I noticed four or five other teen boys waddling along - and a couple were holding onto their to their pants so as NOT to have pants on the ground! They appeared to be struggling with walking because of their droopy drawers - and I thought that's when you have to rethink the statement your fashion is making.


About 10 years ago, I was working on a project with a Kent County Sheriff deputy- it was about the time this fashion 'statement' was becoming a trend. He told me that it started in prison as a way for prisoners to show other prisoners that they were 'available'. And now, teen boys everywhere are emulating this style?! I doubt they know where it started or even more importantly, why it started.



Of all the ridiculous fashion trends, this has to be one of the worst! We had our fair share when I was a teen (remember polyester leisure suits in all kinds of pastel colors?) but none that hindered our ability to walk normally or that were started in prison!

I sure hope this trend ends soon!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Work of art or a work in progress!

Last fall, I was asked if I wanted my portrait painted as part of an exhibit entitled "Moving Through the Unimaginable". The requester was a young woman I have long admired, but for the moment I began to doubt my admiration for her because she described the exhibit's subjects as having 'endured adversity or trauma or disease with grace'. I didn't initially see how I fit into that description, but after some discussion with my hubby and reflection, Whitney's (the requester) esteem in my eyes was restored and I agreed. I was looking at myself through my own eyes. Know what I mean?? I don't see myself as exuding any grace as I've 'endured' my experience with M.S. In actuality, I get quite ticked on days like today when the sun is shining and everyone seems to be out enjoying the sunshine and balmy 42 degrees (I live in Michigan and 42 in March is a heat wave!) walking their dog, or biking or just walking. I know my pure-bred mutt Wall...