Skip to main content

How Wally changed the world - almost

I don't know if you know this but I often think in terms of essays or blogs. An example might be that I am out at an event and something funny (it's almost always something funny that triggers this writing response) happens. In my mind, while I'm supposed to be 'in the moment', I am instead often putting together an essay or blog. Good thing that these don't often make it to print or the 'cloud'.


Yet I cannot suppress the humor and joy of a morning spent with my dear friend Aimee who has had very little humor or joy in her life since last December. And it was all because of my keeps-me-on-my-toes puppy, Wally.


Aimee has a Chiara Malformation which is a growth on the brain that for may patients goes either undiagnosed their entire lives or causes little problem. Not so for Aimee. Hers was discovered last November and while dealing with what she thought were migraines. The pain became so severe that she went to emergency room where a CT Scan revealed the malformation. It was hindering the flow of spinal fluid and causing intense pain. She had surgery over Christmas (I believe it was on Christmas Eve!) and hoped that it would alleviate her pain and she could determine then how to go about living her life. It didn't happen quite that way. Her pain did not go away and in fact at times has been worse - she has investigated and participated in all kinds of treatments and nothing has improved her pain.


Now Aimee has always had a sunny and funny personality. As a matter of fact while I was creating essays in my mind, Aimee would often be providing additional fodder! But in recent months, we've had few occasions to glimpse her amazing humor and hear her beautiful laugh or witness the glorious smile. Pain clouds her demeanor.


Yet this morning, she came by to drop a book and we went outside on the deck to chat. Of course Wally could hardly contain himself because here was another person to lavish attention and affection on him. He brought her toys and gave her kisses. Be not convinced, however, that this charming canine did not eventually resort to his tricks - like attempting to chew on planters, plants and wood. Or whining to go inside. Then whining to come back outside. To chew his bone, loudly, up against the window. To get his chain tangled on the deck. Or to chase flies, butterflies and wasps. And when let out to play with his doggy friend down the street, to splash loudly in the stinky pond next door and then come back 10 minutes later with the neighbor's cat food bowl. (the food long gone)


And Aimee smiled at one point and said, "Just like a toddler" and a little later commented that it was no wonder I didn't get much done. And when he came back, cat food dish in mouth, she laughed. She laughed. Wally made my dear friend laugh. (That's Aimee on the left with her son Gabe who is on the Saugatuck Football team that made it all the way to Ford Field last Thanksgiving!)


So my damn dog, became my dear dog because he was able to bring the light and joy back to Aimee's life if even for just a moment.

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Work of art or a work in progress!

Last fall, I was asked if I wanted my portrait painted as part of an exhibit entitled "Moving Through the Unimaginable". The requester was a young woman I have long admired, but for the moment I began to doubt my admiration for her because she described the exhibit's subjects as having 'endured adversity or trauma or disease with grace'. I didn't initially see how I fit into that description, but after some discussion with my hubby and reflection, Whitney's (the requester) esteem in my eyes was restored and I agreed. I was looking at myself through my own eyes. Know what I mean?? I don't see myself as exuding any grace as I've 'endured' my experience with M.S. In actuality, I get quite ticked on days like today when the sun is shining and everyone seems to be out enjoying the sunshine and balmy 42 degrees (I live in Michigan and 42 in March is a heat wave!) walking their dog, or biking or just walking. I know my pure-bred mutt Wall...