Skip to main content
Sometimes the most enjoyable evenings are those that are unplanned. John and I had one of those evenings with our good friends Kris and Mike VanLoon on Saturday.


Mike came over to help John with his lumberjack duties - cutting up the felled tree in our backyard.{see below for the details of that incident} When he arrived John and Matthew had completed the task. Mike said he arrived 'just in time'!! The boys sat down and watched football and we planned to go to Douglas' Octoberfest after dinner. 


We arrived just as it was finishing (I think Mike might have radar for this sort of just in time thing!!!). We did manage to have one or two beverages and had some interesting conversations. Or in many cases, snatches of conversations. As when I walked up to a table to hear Paula exclaim "I don't want the butt I want the meat." Immediately upon seeing the expressions of those that hadn't heard the beginning of the conversation, she turned a bright shade of pink and hid her face in embarrassment!


Well, we mid-lifers closed down the Octoberfest!! Mind you it was only 8 and we didn't arrive until 7 - but we don't really need to add the details! We then went to Wild Dog and saw more than a few people we all knew - it had a festive feel to the night. 


While reflecting back on the night, I recalled a few more memorable last-minute evenings. One of my favorite New Year's eves was at a neighbors in Kentwood - they said to come over if we didn't have anything else going on; it appeared there were a lot of us without plans and some of us didn't get home until after 3 a.m.! From then on, I swore I'd plan better!! Well, I forgot that oath because one of my other favorite last minute nights was another New Year's Eve and involved the VanLoons and all of our children. 


I think the reason these end up being favorite evenings is because there is an ease to the night and no expectations. While some of the more planned evenings can sometimes be a let down because of high expectations.


So raise a glass to being open for the last minute and not planning every moment of a weekend. And woot-woot, I closed down Octoberfest!!!


The Felled Tree


On Thursday night, torrential winds ripped through our lakeside town. I am not sure of the speed but heard from one weather source that there were gusts of up to 70 mph. When I went to bed that night, I could hear the wind and waves and it seemed to lull my to sleep. About two hours later, I was awoken by some fairly major gusts and my sleep was sporadic for the rest of the night. So, at 5am. when I heard what sounded like acorns on the roof followed by a loud "whumpf". I cowered under my covers and when I didn't hear any other 'whumpfs" I dozed until it was time to get up at 6.


I looked out the window to see a large tree - it had been dead for some time and covered in poison ivy vines - laying in our yard just a foot or two from the house. The very corner where our bedroom was. I immediately got down on my knees and praised God. A little later, I shared the story with Matthew and Delaney and both were awed. Delaney said if the wind continued, I should sleep in Michael's now-vacant bedroom. I was really glad to have John home the next night and to have no winds!!!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...