Skip to main content

My Co-star, Edie Winter and other graceful woman

When we first moved to Douglas nearly 11 years ago - I was introduced to many people in this small town either through my children to their classmate's parents or through my gig as a writer for the local paper. It was the first time, I might add, that people actually read my byline - in all the years of writing for regional or national publications I never heard "So you're Kathleen S. Piggins" but I did when writing for the Local Observer. Kathleen S. Piggins was the byline I used for the paper.

Anyway, one sunny spring afternoon watching my son play baseball a woman came up to me and said, "keep it up, Kathleen S. Piggins." I smiled and asked her name and what it was that I should 'keep up'. She replied, "I am Nathan and Alex's grandma, Edie. My son is Bill the coach. And I meant keep up the excellent stories about the schools. 'Bout time someone told it like it is."

That encounter was followed by many more through the years, and I came to adore this grace-filled and spirited woman. The best time I had with Edie though was in rehearsals and back-stage during the play Our Town put on by the Saugatuck High School. Yes, Edie and I were beyond seniors in high school but were asked to be part of the play to basically play ourselves - she was the minister and I was one of the moms. We giggled and had more fun than we should have - especially when the rehearsals were at the un-Godly hour of 7:30 am.

Edie passed away this morning after a long battle with cancer. The town will mourn her passing.

It has been a year of losing graceful women - Ginger O'Leary, Ginger Wilkinson, Betty Burns and now, Edie. These are women that touched my heart and life and in many ways made me a better woman/mother/person. 

Ginger O'Leary I would see mostly in church but always with a smile and a tale to brighten my day. She put up with my frequent joking about her cow in Chicago - like she had never heard that before! She loved her dog and our dogs, both Golden Retrievers  passed about the same time. It was with her encouragement and example that I got another dog because she said that a dog woman should not be long without another companion.

Ginger Wilkinson - there isn't space her to share all that she taught me. I have not, nor will ever, meet another woman like her. For every event, she had a jumper or a costume and enjoyed celebrating life and it's events or holidays more than anyone I have ever meant. She had a myriad of struggles all her own, but when I would see her she had something positive to say. I remember through John's cancer treatment her many posts on the blog or messages on Facebook that helped boost this care giver's spirits. Despite her own woes, she continued to be out-and-about enjoying all the life had to offer and that has been an example for me to not sit at home having a pity-party but to venture out and brighten the day!

And last, Betty Burns. I met her while working at East Hills athletic club in the nursery. While rocking the babies, we came to be close friends. At the time, I was a mother of one who just left her big-time-full-time job and adjusting to being a stay-at-home mom. Betty talked me through the adjustment, though I don't think either one of us knew it at the time! Our birthdays were close - though not the years - and we would celebrate together every year. Once we went to see The Bridges of Madison County and as the lights went up and people began filing out, we looked at one another and began to laugh because of our mascara streaked faces and blotchy cheeks. Fellow blubbering idiots, we said in unison. When I moved to Douglas, we kept in torch as much as possible and she came to spend a weekend here until traveling became too difficult. I miss her more that words can say. The lessons from Betty were never lectures but examples of how to live a grace filled and positive life.

I carry these four women with me - there is a little bit of each of them in me. And I am better for having known them and letting them into my heart.

I hope some day that the same can be said of me. 

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Work of art or a work in progress!

Last fall, I was asked if I wanted my portrait painted as part of an exhibit entitled "Moving Through the Unimaginable". The requester was a young woman I have long admired, but for the moment I began to doubt my admiration for her because she described the exhibit's subjects as having 'endured adversity or trauma or disease with grace'. I didn't initially see how I fit into that description, but after some discussion with my hubby and reflection, Whitney's (the requester) esteem in my eyes was restored and I agreed. I was looking at myself through my own eyes. Know what I mean?? I don't see myself as exuding any grace as I've 'endured' my experience with M.S. In actuality, I get quite ticked on days like today when the sun is shining and everyone seems to be out enjoying the sunshine and balmy 42 degrees (I live in Michigan and 42 in March is a heat wave!) walking their dog, or biking or just walking. I know my pure-bred mutt Wall...