Skip to main content

Fairy Tales

What do London Bridge, Humpty Dumpty, The Three Little Pigs and Kathleen Piggins have in common?

They all fall down! 

Well with the Three Little Pigs it's not the pigs that fall but the house but I have three not-so-little Piggins and it just seemed appropos to include that fairy tale here!

Because this is a tale about falling down. But it's also about getting back up!

At last night's Douglas Social  my friend Kris and I meandered through the crowd greeting and often hugging friends along the way to the beer/wine tent - I spotted a friend that recently moved to the area and went to give her a big hug. and after proceeded to fall flat on my arse. Time seemed to stop and it felt that the all eyes in the crowd were on me as I landed and then proceeded to get back up with the help of friends. One of the saddest part of the fall, was that I had just gotten my first glass of wine and it was now all over me.  I thought "Thank goodness I was drinking white". And then, "I hope they don't think I was drunk!' - pride looks especially sad when you're on your ass.

The saddest part, however, was my long-lost-friend thought she had something to do with the fall. Sorry, Sue, but I kind of wish that were true!

For the record, I fall a lot. It's the reality for me with my MS right now. I know 'how to fall' so that I rise uninjured but I am taking chances, I know. The prescribed wheelchair that sits in the back of my van, has only been used once in four months. I even thought about using it last night but I didn't want to make everyone feel uncomfortable by seeing me in a wheelchair. Pride goest before the fall . . . I believe that's scripture so I must not be the first one not to want to seen in a wheelchair. I'm not very good at quoting scripture but I am very good at loving my God.

Unlike Humpty Dumpty I cannot be put back together again. (How many times have you read an essay that quotes scripture and Mother Goose? It takes a special kind of mind to use them both in the same essay.) I can continue to take my chances and not wound my pride. Or I can let my pride take one for the team and get the formerly-on-the-grass ass in the wheelchair for occasions that will require going from point A to point B. I knew the day was coming - and just like when I had to start relying on the cane, I will go to this stage with humor and as much grace as I can muster. (Start praying that I may have as much grace as I will need to muster!) Just like I was "Too Sexy for my Cane", I will create a similar song/mantra to get me through this new phase.

I have never learned lessons the easy way. And I know that God knows this about me so he's given me 'soft' falls until the day that I would finally say -
"this might be better for all if I didn't fall". I'm slow but I'm finally there. Here's a bright side - maybe I won't be so slow when I have wheels!





Comments

  1. I love you, you beautiful child of God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Ten Year

When I was in junior high school, I staged a sit-in and learned about 'ten year'. This will come as a total surprise to most of you readers - I was not a perfectly well behaved child. I know, I know - you're shocked, amazed, in wonder how I could have turned out to be so well-behaved despite the oats sown in my youth.  And the sit-in is a perfect example of how I marched to the beat of my own drummer. Miss Brown was an English teacher - and not a very popular one. She would invoke the yardstick on wayward student's hands and scowl the moment we walked into the classroom. We weren't very kind to Miss Brown but then she wasn't very kind to us, either. Personally, the hardest part of having Miss Brown as an English teacher is that she nearly ruined my love of my favorite topic in school. It was the year we were to learn grammar (have I ever mentioned that as a writer I detest grammar?). I think some new way of teaching English was introduced and in all l...