Skip to main content

Jelly fish and wayward Wally

Pardon me while I ramble ...

Being a peri-menopausal woman (I lost about half of the readers with that statement!) and one with MS, I have memory issues. So when I saw the commercials for Prevagen, a supplement touted to improve memory, I was motivated to give it a try. Problem was, every time I went to Meijer or Walgreens or Rite Aid, I'd forget to buy it. Or I'd forget to put it on my grocery list, or forget my grocery list or ... you get the picture! You can't make this stuff up as my friend Patti would say. 

Well, the stars aligned and not only did I put it on the list but I also remembered the list and a week ago my Prevagen experiment began. I'll let you know how it goes, if I remember to update you AND if I remember to take it daily!

 Its main ingredient is some sea creature or jelly fish, so I'm concerned that if its as effective as the commercials claim that poor sea creature will become extinct because there are a lot of peri-menopausal women and others concerned about memory issues!

~~~~~

Wally went on the lamb earlier today. 

He slipped out of his collar while on his leash in the backyard. Wally has never met a stranger and would go with anyone, so I was worried because without his collar and tags he was a stranger. 

Plus, our neighbors are getting new cement poured on their driveways, so I envisioned Wally's paw prints all over wet cement. That dog does make an impression!! Remember when you'd do that as children - make your mark in wet cement? The three not-so-little Piggins did that in our sidewalk when we were building our home. But I'm fairly certain that none of our neighbors would want paw prints all over their driveway.

Treats in my pocket, leash and collar in the scooter basket, I got on my scooter to begin the search. I got to the bottom of the driveway when the scooter's battery started to die. So, I alerted the men pouring the cement and half rode/half walked the dying scooter up the driveway. Calling Wally's name along the way hoping to not look as foolish as I felt, I'm afraid all I did was call attention to the half-half! 

The scooter search thwarted, I resorted to Plan B and text my neighbor to be on the look out and was in the midst of composing an email to other neighbors that Wally was likely to visit when I got a call from one of them telling me they had wayward Wally in their garage. Bob brought him home on a leash they use for their little dog Harry. Thank you God for great neighbors!

Wally now lays, still panting, on the floor. Rarely a dull moment with that damn dog!

Now, I can get back to the day's to-do list if I can only find where I put it!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Work of art or a work in progress!

Last fall, I was asked if I wanted my portrait painted as part of an exhibit entitled "Moving Through the Unimaginable". The requester was a young woman I have long admired, but for the moment I began to doubt my admiration for her because she described the exhibit's subjects as having 'endured adversity or trauma or disease with grace'. I didn't initially see how I fit into that description, but after some discussion with my hubby and reflection, Whitney's (the requester) esteem in my eyes was restored and I agreed. I was looking at myself through my own eyes. Know what I mean?? I don't see myself as exuding any grace as I've 'endured' my experience with M.S. In actuality, I get quite ticked on days like today when the sun is shining and everyone seems to be out enjoying the sunshine and balmy 42 degrees (I live in Michigan and 42 in March is a heat wave!) walking their dog, or biking or just walking. I know my pure-bred mutt Wall...