Skip to main content

Scrooge and Tiny Tim



In one day, late November, I had a most bi-polar sort of day. I can only liken it (especially this time of year) to what it would be like to deal with Scrooge, and then feel all curmudgeonly, and then only hours later to deal with Tiny Tim and feel all "God bless us everyone-ish".

It actually happened only yesterday. So the feelings are fresh.

I started my day with my cop of joe sitting on the couch with my furry sidekick, Wally. I played a game (and won!) on my phone and remembered that I might need to go to the grocery store later so I checked the balance of my checking account. This is where an ordinary day turned quickly sour because a payment that was scheduled to post on December 12 had instead posted that day. A $400-something payment to Sprint sent the balance on my small household checking account into the red and I began seeing red! I had used the automated pay system the day before and will never again.

I called, despite the warning that 'talking to a customer service rep will cost $7 and will be applied to your next bill'. After waiting several minutes to be connected to a representative, I was told that she was 'most terribly sorry for the problem I am experiencing' and after explaining several times the problem that I was experiencing she announced that she was 'happy to share that my refund had been approved and a check will be mailed to me'. I said, no that would not solve my problem that I would need a credit issued to the debit card I use to pay my bill and that I would need this done now. She apologized that she could not help me but would transfer me to collections and they would be able to help me. "Is there something else I may do for you," she asked. "While I have you on the line? would you like to add a line of service or a tablet?"

Really?

"No, thank you. Not today," I said. And she transferred the call to collections.

I was on hold, hearing the same messages several times, and looking at the elapsed time of the call on my phone - 9 minutes, 32 seconds. A male rep introduced himself and I had to again provide my number, name, pin number and reason for the call. "I am most sorry for this inconvenience," he said. The noise in the background, likely a very busy call center, was loud and annoying but I reasoned to my self that it would only take another minute or two and I could muscle through.

Unfortunately, the total time was nearly 45 minutes and when I finally hung up I had a headache and neck/jaw ache from holding my tongue all while grinding my teeth in sheer frustration. I was told that a refund was approved and a credit issued to my account within 5 to 7 days. I knew that three bills would be posting to my account - though these were expected and had been budgeted for- and that the bank might assess fees.

So, I pulled out the phone book (it's gotten really thin!) to locate the number for my local branch. Since it was now after 9, I knew that they'd be open. The number listed however, sent me to a corporate phone not to my local branch where the manager I know would be able to assist me - so I spoke with a rep who was not helpful and only said that once the refund is issued I should then call to have any fees 'possibly' refunded.

It was now 9:30 and I wanted a drink! BaHumbug!

Instead I got ready to meet my friend at church where we were going to sort through the food donations the women's ministry was collecting. We are going to use the donations to help feed and sustain 72 children over Christmas break. These students receive free or reduced fee breakfast and lunch. 

I was taken aback by what had been collected so far -after only 1 week!! Plus, we had received cash donations that we planned to use to supplement the donations by buying items to 'even' out the bags for all 72 children. It did my heart good - to witness the generosity of my church.

We went to Meijer to buy a few items that were on sale and the store manager agreed without a moment's hesitation to donate the needed number of blue cloth shopping bags. It made her smile, she said, to help. Me too, I said!

And then when I got home, I had an email from church that a woman had just dropped off a full cart of groceries. She was, according to the email, giddy to see how much she could get for just under $200!!

Headache? What headache? What jaw or neck ache? God bless us everyone! Maybe even Sprint.


ps. I was in a great mood until this afternoon when I once again logged on to my bank account and noticed the fees. I used my fury by sending an email to the President of Sprint's midwest region. Heck, I've been a loyal customer for 16 years let's see if he can keep my loyalty!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...