Skip to main content

A letter to my children (that I'm posting for all the world to see!)

this is a blog post I wrote in March 2017, but didn't publish. I read this again this morning and decided there's no time like the present to remind all of us, what is at stake in our 2020 Presidential election. 


Dear Michael, Matthew and Delaney -

Do you remember when Mom went on a bus with about 40 other women to Washington D.C. for the Million Mom March? I was upset with the the mass shootings at places like Columbine High School, and I wanted to do something, anything to make the world a better place for the three-not-so-little Piggins. I called home as the bus was pulling into DC and one of you, I can't remember, said something like, "Have you started marching yet?" I held back my laugh and tried to explain that this 'march' didn't actually mean 'marching'. 

Growing up in a home where Mom and Dad supported different political parties meant you grew up listening to political dialogue that wasn't always pleasant but never personal. We listened to NPR in the car and you knew that Wednesday night at 8 p.m. was Mom's time to watch West Wing. On Sundays, we always watched 60 Minutes. And I'm fairly certain that when you were in the car with Dad (if you weren't listening to sports!) he'd have you listen to Rush Limbaugh.

Well, today, I want to alternately apologize to you or encourage you about politics.

I want to apologize first for this past Presidential election. Your upbringing did nothing to prepare you for the ugliness and lies. When you grew up watching the Bartlett administration on West Wing you saw that despite disagreeing on issues there was respect for another's viewpoint. Listening to NPR, you heard issues being discussed and opposing viewpoints given time as well. And on 60 Minutes, you witnessed journalism at it's finest and truth taking precedence. You grew up knowing that in a campaign, lies would ultimately be exposed and the candidate would be held accountable for those lies.

Well, there wasn't respect for opposing viewpoints. At times, in fact, Mr. Trump resorted to name-calling. Often in fact - Lying Ted, Crooked Hillary, Little Rubio, Low Energy Jeb. His grasp of issues was limited so the dialogue was filled with self-aggrandizing statements like, "Trust me, I know" or "I am the most successful". And when asked about something he said or did, Mr. Trump would flat-out deny it - despite audio or video proof to the contrary. And journalists focused on the headlines or sound-bites, despite there being plenty of half-reported stories about both of the candidates. Like, the rape charges against our future President? Or what is the news behind the law suit against Trump University? Or his tax return? (And now we the American people are actually going to be paying his salary for four years, lifetime health insurance and pension of a former President - and he's proud that he hasn't paid taxes??)

I digress. I want to apologize that a man who has assaulted and degraded women will now be the Commander in Chief. (Though that's nothing new, but we didn't have the video and audio proof before Bill Clinton was elected). I want to apologize that a man who has limited understanding of our Constitution will be in a position to shred it.

But mostly today, I want to encourage you. I want to encourage you to get involved in either politics or a cause that is important to you - I want to encourage you to find your passion and get involved. Only 43 percent of eligible voters exercised their right to cast a vote in our last Presidential election, and many said they didn't because they didn't think their vote would count or they thought Ms. Clinton was a 'shoe-in'. (Not an uncommon thought in November)
And that latter assumption, did indeed make asses of you and me. Be involved, children, and please don't be discouraged.

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Ten Year

When I was in junior high school, I staged a sit-in and learned about 'ten year'. This will come as a total surprise to most of you readers - I was not a perfectly well behaved child. I know, I know - you're shocked, amazed, in wonder how I could have turned out to be so well-behaved despite the oats sown in my youth.  And the sit-in is a perfect example of how I marched to the beat of my own drummer. Miss Brown was an English teacher - and not a very popular one. She would invoke the yardstick on wayward student's hands and scowl the moment we walked into the classroom. We weren't very kind to Miss Brown but then she wasn't very kind to us, either. Personally, the hardest part of having Miss Brown as an English teacher is that she nearly ruined my love of my favorite topic in school. It was the year we were to learn grammar (have I ever mentioned that as a writer I detest grammar?). I think some new way of teaching English was introduced and in all l...