Skip to main content

 It's been a long couple of months, this week so far.

Know what I mean?

Election day in the time of pandemic. Election day in the time of a fractured country. Election day in the time of a president who openly courts only half of the country and claims "you're either with me or against me." According to Walter Issacson, the historian, “What we have lost is the sense that we are one nation, all in this together. Donald Trump is the first president in our history who has sought to divide us rather than unite us. We will heal once he leaves, but the scar will endure.” Election day when the arbiter of this election may once again be the Supreme Court if the Electoral College doesn't give the result the president wants.



I was struck this weekend by the essays in the New York Time, under the umbrella of "What We've Lost", in particular the one by Maureen Dowd, 'Sharknado Goes to Washington". She wrote "The most bizarre fact that sticks in my head is this: In 2015, Donald Trump was agonizing over whether to go for the role as the president in “Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!” or to run for the actual presidency," she said. "How did we go from Abraham Lincoln to a “Sharknado” reject?"

I was so struck about much in this column and was inspired to write a response. I really didn't imagine it would be published, but it was and was then selected as one of the NYT Times Picks. I can tell you that this once aspiring journalist had a moment of awe that my byline, so to speak, was in the NYT!! If you're reading this, or have ever read my blog, my writing style isn't really NYT worthy. And it's just online, and it's just a response to an editorial. But still, it's my glass is half full take away from this week so far.

Here's what I wrote:


"Four years ago seems a lifetime. I had such hope and was filled with joy at the possibilities of the first female president. ‘At last, at last we’re equal at last’, I mused. 

Your reminiscences Ms. Dowd of mothers gathering their daughters, reminded me of that hope and promise. That morning after, one of shock, led to the realization that we had been complacent because the choice was so obvious (the most qualified candidate versus a reality tv star). That morning after also reminded us that a little thing like the Electoral College is the ultimate arbiter.

 So we marched in our pink hats and felt empowered and in my mind he wasn’t going to last. Certainly his nefarious dealings would lead to his ouster. I would wake up daily, saying ‘is he out yet?’. Like you, I have friends and family that are Trumpers largely because of their support for anti-choice and/or relaxation of tax codes and regulations on businesses. I have grown used to being the lone liberal in the room but prior to Trump we could still talk politics.

 It was never this divisive. I have been a positive thinker most of my life, even occasionally blogged as theglassishalf-full, but that sunny disposition has been mostly clouded over.

 And as I sit here this morning, my mindset is anxious and weary. I know I’m not alone. The dichotomy in mindsets, from four years ago, is truly a devastating picture of how much we have lost under Trump."

#nyt #maureendowd



Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Work of art or a work in progress!

Last fall, I was asked if I wanted my portrait painted as part of an exhibit entitled "Moving Through the Unimaginable". The requester was a young woman I have long admired, but for the moment I began to doubt my admiration for her because she described the exhibit's subjects as having 'endured adversity or trauma or disease with grace'. I didn't initially see how I fit into that description, but after some discussion with my hubby and reflection, Whitney's (the requester) esteem in my eyes was restored and I agreed. I was looking at myself through my own eyes. Know what I mean?? I don't see myself as exuding any grace as I've 'endured' my experience with M.S. In actuality, I get quite ticked on days like today when the sun is shining and everyone seems to be out enjoying the sunshine and balmy 42 degrees (I live in Michigan and 42 in March is a heat wave!) walking their dog, or biking or just walking. I know my pure-bred mutt Wall...