Skip to main content

One of those days



It's a tad chilly here today with enough of a breeze to remind you that winter's coming soon. So I knew that I'd need to dress in extra layers for a walk with my friend Kris. (Well, she walks and I ride along in my scooter but you already knew that, faithful reader.) I went to put on my vest, and spend nearly ten minutes trying to get it zipped up - my glasses needed the lenses cleaned and the lighting was bad and the zipper is small and my dexterity isn't what it used to be- which had me scrambling to get out the door in a timely manner for the appointed 3:00 excursion.

And then, I couldn't find the gloves I needed to wear. I wanted the blue ones to match my hat and scarf. Because if you're in a scooter on a blustery day you will attract attention and need to look good, right?

And then the cars were blocking the way for the scooter to get out of the garage. So I had to go back into the house to find the key, then move the car.

When I got on the scooter, I noticed that someone had left the keys in the scooter and in the 'on' position. Which meant that I didn't have enough juice to make it on our 'usual' (doesn't that make it sound like I do this all the time!) route, but I didn't want to just send a text so I figured I certainly had enough to get to Kris' house across the street to tell her and I really wanted to see her. And thankfully I did have enough!

But (there's always a 'but' in one of my 'epic' tales) according to the beeps emanating from the scooter, I didn't have enough juice to get home. Thankfully, I had the charging cord and we plugged it in and stood in the garage chatting for awhile. I truly believed after about ten minutes that it would be enough but the scooter kept beeping. Kris had a conference call in 40 minutes and I didn't want to keep her any longer, believing that my forgetfulness already inconvenienced her long enough, we decided to push the damn scooter back to my garage. 

Once it's put in neutral, its not that hard to push - if no one is sitting on the seat (then the brakes engage after a short while, some stupid safety feature I might have praised had the circumstances been different) and you're not going downhill (then it's hard for someone who has difficulty walking to keep up without tripping while holding on to the scooter) and the handle is straight so the wheels are too.

We were a sight, I'm sure, pushing a scooter down the street on a blustery day. 

And one neighbor and one friend driving by, stopped to ask if we needed help. No, we assured them, we've got this. Or Kris had it.

And once it was back in the garage we made plans to try again on Friday. I plugged it in to fully charge, got back in the house and sighed. As I took off my coat, hat and gloves, I reflected on two things. First that my hat and gloves and scarf matched because indeed I attracted attention - ugh! And second and most importantly, that I am incredibly grateful for my friend Kris - the best friend a ditzy gimp could hope for. 

I was brought out of those thoughts by the sound of my dog in his kennel. And I realized that in my haste to get out of the house, I forgot to put Wally in his kennel yet there he was, which could only mean a self-imposed time-out for a bread infraction. Sure enough, Wally had taken the new package of sandwich thins off the counter and consumed them, ripping the package to shreds and then putting himself in his kennel which, he has learned, is where he goes when he's committed a bread infraction.

I text Kris about it and she responded with, "One of those days!!!"

Yes, one of those indeed.

#theglassishalffull

#oneofthosedays

Comments

  1. I can picture it perfectly! A good laugh over a cup of Joe first thing in the morning. You two are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...