Skip to main content

The "I'll Nevers" of growing older

 Years ago as a freelance writer, I submitted an essay entitled "The I'll Nevers of Parenting". It was a list, mostly, of things I had said prior to having children and the crow I was then eating because of the stupidity of the claims. You know little pearls of 'wisdom' that only someone who hasn't experienced the joys of  parenting could utter, like: I will never yell at my child in public or I will never let my child eat dinner in front of the television or my children will never stay up past 9 pm.

I yelled at my children (usually when we were both tired and totally irrational!) in public. One time, as we were in the drop off lane at school with a long line of cars behind us, the boys hoped out of the car but Delaney was insisting on something that for the life of me I cannot recall and I was insisting that she get out of the van. We crept along, van door still open, until I got to the end of the line and yelled at the top of my voice, "Delaney get the hell out of the van NOW". I looked to see the nice Mr. Beery who was helping with the morning traffic flow and as usual was smiling and waving at the parents and kids. His smile faltered for only a nanosecond. And I was horrified. Delaney did get out of the van and I was convinced I'd scarred her for life. I spent that day in turmoil over the scarring I'd inflicted on my dear daughter, convinced that she was in school at that very moment a devastated and damaged daughter. When I picked the kids up, Mr. Beery wasn't on duty, and Delaney was the same confident and happy child, seeming oblivious to the life-shattering I had performed that morning.

Through the years, I have had plenty of opportunities to eat those words said prior to parenting. So many words I have had to eat, so, so many.

*sigh*

Now, having turned 60 I am working on a whole new list of 'I'll Nevers'. This time, it's the I'll Nevers of Growing Older. This is a list of similarly obnoxious and pious statements of a clueless younger woman. So put on your comfy clothes and be prepared to eat my words (I'm wearing pants with elastic and a baggy top because I am going to be full!).

I will never sit around with friends lamenting health issues.

This is a frequent event these days, even prior to Covid. Book clubs have occasionally turned into evenings discussing various diagnoses or ailments albeit with wine and laughter. Or dinners with friends that involved servings of tidbits about recent doctor appointments or test results.

I will never pull out a prescription medication while out for dinner with family or friends.

I had a Grandma that would not only pull out her medications, but then she would place them on the table and explain what each one was and what it was for. As a youth witnessing this I was then convinced that each one was likely a placebo or water pill prescribed by a physician who just wanted Charlotte to feel 'heard' and that this behavior was the equivalent of 'old, old, OLD'. In recent years, finding a need to take one of my pills while in a social setting, I try to secretly get the pill out of my purse and in to my mouth without calling attention to my pill-popping. I do not want to be a Charlotte.

I will not opt for comfort over style when it comes to shoes.

While having MS and being less-stable on my feet may seem to be the reason for my move from high-heels, the truth is I made the move years prior when those high-heels led to bunions whose pain led to flatter comfortable shoes. It pains me (pun intended?) to admit but when the gals from Sex in the City were salivating over the Manolo Blahnik's I was secretly thinking "Oh, you are going to sooooo regret that in the morning, or in a few years". Don't judge me in my comfy Merrell's or Born's or Clarks ... I already have!

I will never spend a fortune on face products claiming to be the fountain of youth.

On this one statement alone, my waistband has expanded to near stretching, because I have a VIP membership with Origins, Aveda and The Fountain of Youth Counter at Ulta. Oh yes, they can see me coming as I roll up to their counters the look of desperation etched within the lines on my face and painted amongst my age spots. Oh yes, you had me at "Scientifically proven to ..." Here's my Master Card sign me up, buttercup. At least, I haven't paid for any surgical procedures. (I know what you're thinking dear reader that this too may show up in later editions of Eating Crow with Kathleen!)

I will never use Weight Watchers.

I used to think that this was a bunch of old women sitting around exchanging recipes and talking about fiber supplements. Not only did I join Weight Watchers, I did it three times and now I am working for this company!!!!! It is not, by the way, a bunch of old women talking recipes and fiber - it really is about life-changing mindsets. Honest!!!

I will never wear elastic-waist pants.

There was a time, when only older women wore elastic waist pants and they were often fashioned to look like they had a zipper to perhaps mask the fact that the waistband was elasticized. Not only am I wearing them now, so that they can expand while I'm eating all my words, they are all in style even for young people. It would appear that we are now a society that values comfort with style instead of comfort instead of style. Amen to that!

This is list is surely just the start and to get me thinking. But I am tired and need my nap (yes that's another one!) If you have more ideas, send them to me at kathleenpiggins@gmail.com.

#growingolder #origins 


Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...