Skip to main content

When a New Year begins with only whispers of the previous year


 I spent the last 45 days of 2024 suffering with a wee bit of the plague. 

It didn't completely stop me, but it came close. I only briefly came out of my isolation to participate in the Lakeshore Community Chorus' holiday concert, to take care of the world's most adorable bairn and then celebrate his first birthday, to attend Christmas Eve worship, to see the bio-pic of Bob Dylan, celebrate NYE with the previously mentioned adorable grandson and his parents and to have short visits with my daughter from a different mother/father and her adorable daughter. I don't think I missed any 'events'.

After each of these 'events' I then went back to my cocoon (the recliner in the living room, with my blankie and water bottle). There I could cough, sneeze and ache in relative comfort with my tissues, Mucinex and Advil nearby. I also discovered the comfort of an occasional hot toddy.

When there were no signs of improvement, I went to my doctor and she prescribed an antibiotic, more rest, more fluids and more Mucinex (but switch to the DM). That seemed to mostly alleviate the sneezing and lessen the hacking. She prescribed a stronger antibiotic and I can say I am now feeling less-plague-y.

Not yet fully human, but getting closer. In fact, my hours in the cocoon have dropped considerably. 

It seemed like the most-fitting end to 2024, being sick. I spent the first half of the year suffering with various mysterious maladies all seemingly related to dangerously low immunoglobulins (IGs); these included eczema, and frequent UTIs. The drug I had been getting to stabilize my MS has the nasty side-effect of lowering the immune response (a double whammy since MS itself does the same thing). I was infused with IGs in April/May and poof the MMs disappeared. Though the IGs are still low, which could relate to the lingering plague. I am talking with my doc this week to see if I can get another IG boost.

I am grateful that I was fortunate to have the time to rest (thank you Cheryl at the Book Nook of Saugatuck for covering my many missed shifts). Delaney and Nelli really did the lion share of Christmas cooking and helping. I was able to browse online, really taking time to select thoughtful (I hope) gifts for Christmas. And last but not least to John, who wasn't feeling well either for most of the time, made me hot toddys and made sure I got to where I needed to be if I needed to be somewhere, and took care of me too.

2025 I pray the lingering whispers of 2024's illnesses are silenced soon and that is a good portent for the rest of the year.





Comments

  1. You are an inspiration to so many! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...