Skip to main content

Ch ... Ch ... Chemo





I was ready. I was prepared.

The potential side-effect list was long and one I'd had some familiarity when John went through his treatment. 

So I gathered my arsenal. I had my compazine, zofran and antivan. I had my ginger chewables and chicken noodle soup. I was armed and potentially dangerous.

So, chemo day with the toxic chemo cocktail starting to do it's job, I envisioned it as either PacMan, eating away at the cancer cells or a Chia Pet, allowing my good cells to thrive. With these visions, (that aren't quite Christmas Eve sugar plums dancing) and tired from the chemo, I went to bed early.

Friday, under the watchful eye of my caregiving hubby, I slept most of the day away. Not really hungry but not nauseous either. I spent the majority of the day horizontal on the couch listening to my book on Audible (despite the sleep timer, I probably missed 1/3 of what I 'read'), dozing, answering calls and texts, and snacking. 

Perhaps the highlight of the day, and the fact that this was a highlight just goes to show how mundane was the day, was when the Nuelasta OnPro thingy (not an official name in case you're wondering, though don't you wish the drug companies would create easier or more descriptive names, like White Blood Cell enabler for Nuelasta or Joy Ride for Viagra or Happy Day for Effexor?!) was scheduled to inject 27 post-chemo hours. John and I waited expectantly for the beeps and flashing lights and injection. I saw John check the time a couple times, since we knew it was to happen around 7:30 pm. And when the lights flashed and beeps sounded, we looked at the thingy and then resumed watching our show. An hour later our excitement was done when the injection was complete. We know how to live, you know what I mean?!

Saturday, was a repeat Friday sans the excitement of the Nuelasta.

Sunday, another repeat with a little more energy. And I finished the book, "The Woman Inside" by E.G. Scott. (Similar to "Girl on the Train" and "Something in the Water", suspense novel with the a married couple as protagonists). 

Throughout the weekend, I took some of the prescriptions as a prophylactic and had NO nausea. Was it the medicine?

Thank God!!! Prayers answered.

The nurse practitioner, Alecia, from the High Risk clinic said that some people go through chemo easily and others have every possible complication. I pray that the rest of this round (next one February 7) go as smoothly!!

Next on my list is the CT scan tomorrow and then blood work on Thursday. In the meantime, I will stay home start another book get ready for my WW Workshops this week and look out at the snow globe.

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...