Skip to main content

Blubbering Idiot, Part 2

Wally and me watched 'Marley and Me' while I cried about Sandy and me.

Once again, I turned on the tv to keep me company while doing crunches and saw that it was the last fifteen minutes of Marley & Me. "Perfect," I thought. "It's been long enough since Sandy's passing that I should be able to watch this without falling to pieces."

Well, if ands and buts were candy and nuts . . . oops wrong saying. What I mean to write is that if I had to eat my words everytime I said something that was later proven to be false, I'd be a whole lot larger than I already am.

I fell to pieces within moments of watching. And dear, sweet, havoc-wreaker Wally just looked at the tv and then at me, cocked his head and began to lick away the tears. I'd like to think he was being kind but I think instead he liked the taste of the salty tears. He was curious when onscreen there was a full head-shot of Marley - again, he cocked his head and watched and them resumed licking my tears.

So now I'm sitting here with eyes swollen, cheeks blotchy and a post-cry headache. I will no longer (at least until the next time) watch a sad movie while doing crunches. Maybe I should just give up on the crunches!

Comments

  1. No, No crunches! Crying is good for you, me and everyone. Otherwise why would people and elephants cry when they are overwhelmed with emotions. How blessed you can feel so deeply for your beloved pet, husband, children, friends and relatives near and far!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Ten Year

When I was in junior high school, I staged a sit-in and learned about 'ten year'. This will come as a total surprise to most of you readers - I was not a perfectly well behaved child. I know, I know - you're shocked, amazed, in wonder how I could have turned out to be so well-behaved despite the oats sown in my youth.  And the sit-in is a perfect example of how I marched to the beat of my own drummer. Miss Brown was an English teacher - and not a very popular one. She would invoke the yardstick on wayward student's hands and scowl the moment we walked into the classroom. We weren't very kind to Miss Brown but then she wasn't very kind to us, either. Personally, the hardest part of having Miss Brown as an English teacher is that she nearly ruined my love of my favorite topic in school. It was the year we were to learn grammar (have I ever mentioned that as a writer I detest grammar?). I think some new way of teaching English was introduced and in all l...