Skip to main content

Kiss Today Goodbye . . .

Not sure what musical those lyrics are from or even if I got them right - 'kiss today goodbye. the sweetness and the sorrow . . ." But that is the song I cannot get out of my head. Despite the fact that it's Christmas and there is a barrage of Christmas songs on the radio and stereo and everywhere. No Jingle Bells for me. Silent Night is mute. Oh Come All Ye Faithful has left my head. Instead the tune and words that keep playing are "kiss today . . ." or is it "THE day."

Whatever the correct words - the sentiment is one I am feeling deeply. It's not this day in particular that I wish to kiss adieu - but this year. 2010 cannot end soon enough for me. While there have been a few highlights - most of which I've blogged about - the low lights are what comes to mind when this Pollyanna thinks back on the year that was 2010.

Not only John's cancer - which colored nearly everything since he was diagnosed in February, but my sister Kelli's breast cancer as well. She was diagnosed just before Thanksgiving of 2009. We went into John's diagnosis and treatment with Kelli much on our hearts and minds. Thankfully, both John and Kelli are doing well and the overall outlook is good. Matthew's good friend, Kyle spent last Christmas and several weeks in the hospital recovering from open heart surgery.

With the success of the Saugatuck football team, I thought that at least we could go out of 2010 on a high note. But 2010 had other ideas . . .

Now, my dear friend Aimee is battling health demons. Just one week ago, struggling with the pain of what she thought was a severe migraine she went to the ER and within hours her world was turned upside down with the diagnosis of Chiari Malformation - while present since birth she only learned of it last week. She wanted to delay surgery - there were other options - but that was not to be. Tonight, she sleeps not-so-soundly at Holland Hospital awaiting surgery in the morning. She will spend Christmas in the hospital - I know it was something she wanted desperately to avoid. The overall prognosis is good - but why the hell does the road to a happy ending have to be so hazardous?

I am ready, oh so ready - to kiss this year goodbye. I know it's just a number and on January 1, 2011 that all the troubles, concerns and worries of 2010 won't go away - but in my mind it's really a new year. A new beginning.

So pucker up - and kiss it goodbye with me!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Ten Year

When I was in junior high school, I staged a sit-in and learned about 'ten year'. This will come as a total surprise to most of you readers - I was not a perfectly well behaved child. I know, I know - you're shocked, amazed, in wonder how I could have turned out to be so well-behaved despite the oats sown in my youth.  And the sit-in is a perfect example of how I marched to the beat of my own drummer. Miss Brown was an English teacher - and not a very popular one. She would invoke the yardstick on wayward student's hands and scowl the moment we walked into the classroom. We weren't very kind to Miss Brown but then she wasn't very kind to us, either. Personally, the hardest part of having Miss Brown as an English teacher is that she nearly ruined my love of my favorite topic in school. It was the year we were to learn grammar (have I ever mentioned that as a writer I detest grammar?). I think some new way of teaching English was introduced and in all l...