Skip to main content

Values - pass it on.

If you have read my blog in the past or know me at all, you know that sports in general and football in particular are not one of my favorite things to watch. Unless of course, one of my sons is playing - then get out of my way as I cheer them on! It is with a lot of frustration that I have seen more televised football games in recent weeks than there are hairs on my head. Okay that might be a slight exaggeration - but only slight. So if you're like me, you have seen the plethora of commercials from the Foundation for a Better Life. They are wonderful, heartfelt little life snippets - and they all end with the tag line, "Values, pass it on."

Some of the most memorable are:
The girl with Downs syndrome that is crowned prom queen.

The skater 'dude' that is seen running through the alleys and streets with a woman's purse in his hands until he gets to the city bus where he gives the purse to a woman that is disembarking. He says, "You left this on the bench."

The boy that give his soap box derby car to a boy in a wheelchair.

The teacher that gives extra time to a student struggling to read.

There are so many - it's hard to recall them all. But you can see them at http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots if you're so inclined.

The reason I'm blogging about these commercials and billboards is that it has bothered me that the messages in these ads are largely ones parents used to teach their children. You know the Golden Rule and manners and helping others - all lessons we learned growing up. It seems to me that as parents we can all do a better job of passing on good values - so that we have a polite and thoughtful next generation. I'm not overly impressed with the lack of manners or empathy displayed in the younger generation or, for that manner, some people of my generation. We are a ruder, less thoughtful society and that can be seen in the shows that we watch - all those reality shows that display the absolute worst in humanity and the programs that depict a poor image of families.

The lives of families are busier than ever - we cram so much into our days that there is little time for the 'luxury' of discussing values or manners. Heck, families hardly have dinner together anymore. I do know that a discussion of values by parents to their children would have a far greater impact than any television commercial could ever have. And maybe it doesn't have to be sitting down for a lengthy conversation about values - instead it could be pointing out a good deed observed or heard about. I do think it should be an ongoing dialogue - and one that parents have with their children.

Television is teaching far too much to the next generation - some of it good, but without the filter of a caring adult, I fear our children are getting the wrong messages. There is a lot of violence, sex and profanity - and that's just in Sesame Street!! (just kidding of course!) You know what I mean, though - the standards have declined and the time spent viewing has increased = the values as depicted on TV are picked up by the next generation. Maybe the Foundation for a Better Life should place commercials in some of the most violent, repulsive programs just to temper those programs impact. Just imagine watching Family Guy or South Park and having a commercial for the Foundation come on?!

My glass-half-full morsel out of all of this is that someone saw the need - a lack of values - and found the money and took the initiative to try to change the downward spiral. I've got to sign off now and go instill some 'getting -out- of -bed- before -noon' values to my college son home on break!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...