Skip to main content

Distracted

Technology, especially the computer and Internet, have greatly improved my life. It has become so much a part of my day-to-day that I don't really even think about how much my life is enhanced and improved by the Internet. I believe this is likely true for all of you out there in cyberworld as well.

There is a downside I've been thinking a lot about recently. Distraction.
I am like a school kid with ADD when I come to my computer in the morning. I want to stay on task, I really do but the Internet is ripe with tempting diversions.

This morning for instance, I went online to check my email and Facebook. I went to Facebook where a friend posted a funny video that leads me to You Tube where I get lost amongst similar gems. After several minutes - maybe 20 or 30 - I remember to check my email and log onto my home page where OOOO look, look over here on my home page there is a link to the NPR story I only got a chance to hear the end of yesterday, now I can listen to the whole thing. It's a story about a book I was curious about, so I go to Amazon to search for the book and Amazon conveniently has listed some of their suggestions which includes the book I was curious about and others I had yet heard about, so I start to click on the books and learn more. I put them in the Wish List and then see that Amazon has started this Universal Wish List - which means I can add items from almost any other site to my Amazon list. Well, heck, I have to give that a try. So I go to J Jill and find that I can use the Amazon feature with J Jill! I'm so thrilled that I start looking - and I'll be darned but there's a huge, huge sale with free shipping and 15% off my entire purchase. Well, I didn't really need anything but heck such a deal.

After a few moments, I wonder why I'm shopping on J Jill and remember that I don't need anything. Wasn't it that Dave Ramsey book I read parts of that talked about scaling back and only getting what you need? I can't recall, so I go back to Amazon to check if that's the book and remember my reason for going to the J Jill site. But I cannot remember what brought me originally to the Amazon site. I look through that site's wish list and see the book I heard about on NPR! I better order that, I think, before I forget again. Now what was that other book or author I came to Amazon for?

I can't recall so I go back to my email account. There is an email from a teacher that reminds me I need to log on to the school site to check grades. For both schools - different districts.  By the time I'm done with that, I see that I have now spent 90 minutes on the computer and haven't completed one thing I needed to complete. Which was???

From now on, before I sit down in front of this attention-grabbing-distraction-causing technological wonder, I will have to make a to-do list. Or I'll never get anything done!

Comments

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...