Skip to main content

How Running Makes You Pregnant

In my recent post entitled "Rockin' and Rollin' but mostly Rollin'", I referenced my previous attempts to be a runner. I did not go into detail, though I'm fairly certain a few of you went to YouTube to see if there were any comedy skits with a theme of 'knock-kneed runners', or 'funniest running styles' or 'people that should not be running'. I've not Googled it, mostly because I forget what I was supposed to be googling when I sit down at the computer.

What got a few snickers from friends or quizzical looks from that post, was my reference to running making me pregnant. It's a quick story and has a happy ending (Delaney).

About 20 years ago, (exactly 20 in fact since the aforementioned Delaney turned 19 in November) I decided to secretly train for the Old Kent Riverbank Run.( It's now called the Fifth Third.) I wasn't planning to run the whole, long gazillion mile race but was thinking the 5K or hopefully even shorter if they had one. I was going to do it as an anniversary or birthday gift for my hubby because he liked to run and I thought it was something we could do together. And John knew how much I didn't like running so he would, I thought, appreciate my effort and thought. So, with the YWCA gift membership I got for Christmas, I started running on the treadmill in addition to aqua aerobics. I was getting in great shape and lost about 20 pounds in two months. It wasn't fun, in fact I found it rather mundane, running. So then, when the weather got warmer I began to run outside (that's where the YouTube videos or comedy skits would have been inspired). While my enjoyment didn't increase, at least I could see what was going on in the 'hood' while I was running around instead of staring at a TV screen or watching other women working out in the Y. I'm not a nosy neighbor, just curious and I would use what I saw on those runs to create stories in my mind as entertainment (I have always had the imagination of a writer, if not the discipline).

But it was getting more difficult to run and at first, I chalked it up to the fact that I was running outside on uneven terrain. And then, not only was it more difficult to run but I wasn't losing any more weight despite an increased distance I was running. I kept at it though.

About four months into my new secret running routine, one of the boys got sick and I took them to the doctor's office. I asked the nurse, Christine, if I could take a pregnancy test - I hadn't thought of it before but something (someone?) inspired the question. So, I went into the bathroom to pee into the cup and with Michael and Matthew in tow - at the time they were 4 and 2. They looked at what I was doing with such curiosity, "Mom, whatcha doin'?" they asked. (Later that night when they were in the bathroom, supposedly brushing their teeth, I heard them laughing and went in to see them replicating the 'peeing in a cup' trick they'd witnessed earlier. I think I got rid of the Dixie cup dispenser that night.)

You guessed it, Christine came back in with the biggest smile and carrying the test stick. "You're pregnant," she beamed. I broke down in tears. She looked confused and handed me the tissues and asked one of the other nurses to take the boys out to play in the waiting room.

I told her that I wasn't unhappy, just a little shocked. I had been running to get ready for this race and it was a present for John and I don't know how it happened and we had two healthy boys and I was running to be with my hubby and ...  I went on for about another minute. And looked up at Christine, who had been listening and was smiling back at me. She said "You don't know how this happened? {pause} Clearly, it was the running that made you pregnant!"

So, there you have it. A medical professional acknowledged that running made me pregnant. I don't care that she said it with a big grin followed by a hug followed by side-splitting laughter from both of us. She said it. And she's a professional.

So, there you have it. There was an Immaculate Conception and my Intractable Conception! 

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

The Glass may be half full - but the plate is overflowing!

I have written many blogs this week - but have posted none. Not one of them seemed to ring true to what I was thinking or feeling this past week - I have been too scattered, unable to focus and more than a little ADD. It's because my plate is overflowing! Matthew and the Saugatuck football team snagged a place on the field at Ford Field after a nail-biter today. All along, this was a team that wasn't predicted to go far this season; they were young and there weren't many of them. Each of the playoff games have been a gift - and for a couple days prior to these games it has been difficult for this new football fan to sleep. Stress!!! And then Delaney is in rehearsal for her first play at Holland High school - The Three Musketeers. She is in a different school and in many ways, especially during this playoff season, a different world! Her rehearsals are nightly, including Fridays and she has had to miss the playoff games.  I've had to arrange transportation for ou...