Skip to main content

Another one bites the dust!

I am elated to be sitting here, post-physical, done for another year!! 


I love my doc - she's a friend that I enjoy talking with about nearly everything, but is there anything worse than a physical for women???

It starts with the dreaded scale (that's surely calibrated to add 10 pounds so that you focus on the stress of the number instead of whats to come) and then to the peeing in a cup (and you're to read the directions and do it correctly!).  Once you're dixie cup is put in the compartment you're led to an examination room and told to remove your clothing and dun a paper 'gown' opened in the front. I know these are surely shrinking because they just don't cover the way they used to and this can't have anything to do with the number on the scale!! Once on the examination table, you realize that your backside is uncovered and that once the door is opened it is certainly going to be the first thing the doc and all others in the hall will see. But it's not your first rodeo and you know this isn't the worst thing the doc will see! I won't go into the details, all women know the rest of the story!!

The annual physical is a little like childbirth - painful while it's happening and such a joy when it's done. Instead of an adorable bundle of joy, though, you leave with referrals for other appointments or prescription refills. And the biggest joy of all is the appointment for next year's physical!

Hence my elation at sitting here, post-physical. 
Oh, and by the way - I passed!!!!
Phew.

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...