Skip to main content

A Babe(y) Magnet

WE have all heard of "Babe Magnets" - those elusive males that seem to attract the females (babes) with little effort. Maybe just by waking in the morning.

I've never met one.

But I have met Baby Magnets. You know the type - the person that can make any baby or child smile. You see them in church trying not to be the distraction to the baby/child a few pews away - but that child just can't stop smiling or cooing to the person a few pews away.

I have met and admire many natural baby magnets. Both of my sisters, Kelli and Kerri, are such draws; babies and children just adore them and the feeling is mutual. My own children just adore these aunts and often text/email/talk to them all on their own! My Mom is another - and maybe that's where my sisters got the gift! I envy their natural gift.

Maybe it's my penance for being the world's worst babysitter at times - families would call requesting Kelli and if she was busy I'd get booked. Poor kids - I'd set the clock ahead for those that could tell time so I could put them to be sooner! Until the Rosen family that lived across the street - their daughter Dana and I hit it off and the parents were pretty cool too. They would actually let me take Dana to the swim club or have friends over when I was babysitting. I went with them on vacation a couple times, too. If anything it gave me the sense that I, too, could be good (not great) with children.

Even in college, I went from wanting to never have children to in my early twenties thinking maybe one would be okay. To me, motherhood represented repression and was the antithesis to my 'burn your bra' feminism. I didn't know/truly love any children.

And then my niece and Godchild, Shannon, was born and the world opened like a flower. I would drive the five hours from the Detroit area to the Cincinnati area every couple weeks - JUST to see Shannon. My sister and brother-in-law, too, I suppose. It wasn't anything I did or changed - but that beautiful little girl baby would just smile and coo and laugh when I was with her. (In all likelihood she did so with everyone!). And I was beyond smitten. And I am beyond grateful - because Shannon opened a world to me that I am quite sure God wanted opened. Thank you, Shannon.

And then I had Michael - and I have never looked back.

Now parenting is my life - it's what I live and think about most of my waking hours. And if we're out-and-about, I am likely to be the one that is cooing and adoring the babies/children around me. I am not on the level of my sisters or Mom but a weaker, refrigerator-brand of magnet while they are the industrial sort!

Here's the thing - Children are the magnets we should all be drawn to, don't you think? And maybe what my sisters, Mom and I have isn't so much a 'baby magnet' but instead they/we are drawn to the magnet that is children.

And that is a good thing!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Poster Child for chemo and freak of nature

I made the comment to my oncologist last week, during my chemo infusion, that I could be a poster child for chemo.  "You pretty much are," she said. I have thus far been sailing through chemo, albeit like a sailboat stuck out in the middle of Lake Michigan when the winds die and it's not moving for three to four days. Because my primary side effect has been extreme fatigue for 3-4 days post chemo. Last Saturday, 2 days post chemo, I took my shower and got dressed and announced to John that I now needed a nap - that kind of fatigue.  And being a woman who has dealt with the fatigue of MS, I thought this chemo kind would be familiar and similar to the exhaustion I feel on a hot summer day where retrieving the mail (our mailbox is at the end of our driveway) while riding my scooter to get it  feels like I've run a 5K. That kind of fatigue. This is the kind that makes it difficult to even get up, needing a nap after getting out of bed. Well that might be a little ...