Skip to main content

Mama Roses

Seeing the movie "Gypsy" as a young teen, I remember being shocked by the lengths Gypsy Rose Lee's mother took to find fame for her daughters. I was horrified by what that fame cost the young Louise who ended up being the famous burlesque queen of the 20s & 30s. Mama Rose was the epitome of a pushy stage mom. Rosalind Russell singing 'Everything's Coming Up Roses' classically and musically portrays the ambitions she has that will be achieved on the back of her daughter.

As a young teen, I couldn't imagine such a mother. One who had ambitions for herself and one who would use her children to achieve those ambitions. Of fame. Fortune. Stardom.

I now find myself as a stage mom - and I pray that I will never, ever be what Rosalind Russell portrayed so well; a clawing, pushy, selfish woman. In the movie she is seen yelling at a director because he didn't allow Gypsy to sing the entire song or something like that. Thankfully, they usually don't allow mothers into auditions!

But let me assure you, there are modern versions of Mama Rose. They may not be yelling at directors during auditions but they're smoothly clawing the way clear for their young performer behind the scenes. They have a way of belittling any achievement of another's child while smoothly boasting of their own's  resume. And if by chance another child is more talented than their own - better watch your back and that of your child because there is little that will stand in the way of their putting Junior back on a higher/better pedestal. I have personally witnessed child performers being belittled by such stage moms. It isn't pretty!

I suppose there are stage moms in every activity that involves children - I've heard horror stories from others about dance or gymnastics or skating mothers. My wish is that we parents would retract our claws, shut our mouths and support our children from a respectful distance. Because in the future our children are going to have to learn to fight their own battles, have a realistic assessment of their own talents or skills and be functioning adults. Many of us know a young adult that is floundering and I have to believe that some of the floundering is due to parents that controlled too much or didn't allow Junior to fall or fail.

It's not easy letting our children fail - but it's part of growing up. Some of history's biggest successes - Abraham Lincoln, Einstein, Helen Keller to name just a few - experienced some monumental failures as children or teens. I have been deeply saddened when one of my children experienced a set back, but when the tears clear and the pain subsides there is a whole lot of strength left. And that will do them a lot more good than a part in a play, or some other achievement - because it will last into adulthood and be there for them when I can no longer wipe away their tears.

Don't get me wrong, I never pray that my children fail. Quite the contrary. I am like all other parents fervently praying for my children's success at whatever they are currently doing. But when there is a set back, I pray for the grace and words to help them find the strength when the pain subsides.

And when I encounter a Mama Rose, I silently pray that she finds solace in failure and then I quickly turn and walk as quickly as I can in the other direction!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

The Glass may be half full - but the plate is overflowing!

I have written many blogs this week - but have posted none. Not one of them seemed to ring true to what I was thinking or feeling this past week - I have been too scattered, unable to focus and more than a little ADD. It's because my plate is overflowing! Matthew and the Saugatuck football team snagged a place on the field at Ford Field after a nail-biter today. All along, this was a team that wasn't predicted to go far this season; they were young and there weren't many of them. Each of the playoff games have been a gift - and for a couple days prior to these games it has been difficult for this new football fan to sleep. Stress!!! And then Delaney is in rehearsal for her first play at Holland High school - The Three Musketeers. She is in a different school and in many ways, especially during this playoff season, a different world! Her rehearsals are nightly, including Fridays and she has had to miss the playoff games.  I've had to arrange transportation for ou...