Skip to main content

I'm Walking . . .

That headline or title would not be emblazoned across many publications or blogs - but for me, it's headline-grabbing-neon-blazing news!

I have, of course, wonderful Wally to thank for the new-found opportunity to lace up those walking shoes. And walk we do - I've taken him around the block a couple times a day since Sunday. For four years now, that was a feat unimagined. I call it my Igor Shuffle - it's not pretty to watch or to personally experience; my left leg and foot drag especially after much effort. So, it's become easier to not make the exertion. And there are the falls, or trips, as I'm walking- and they're not only bruising but embarrassing. Like the time the nice, little old lady asked me if I needed help after a particularly public fall. It's like the chicken and the egg - which came first - the tripping or the fear of walking? Or should I say, fear of falling.

I digress. (So what's new!!!).

In addition to our new puppy, I think I have to also thank a new prescription that I take twice a day. Ampyra - it's one for people with MS that have a difficult time walking. I begrudgingly thank any pharmaceutical (that's a blog for another day!), but I have truly noticed a difference. I may still shuffle, but it doesn't make me feel like I'm going to topple at any moment. If I'm tripping on my walks these days it's because Wally and I are both just learning to take walks! I imagine we're comical to watch - me Igor-shuffling along with a clumsy, big-pawed puppy. You have my permission to imagine that picture of klutziness and to laugh. I do!

I didn't really realize the improvement until I took Wally to the dog park this morning. The terrain is uneven and covered in sticks, twigs and fallen leaves. I would have fallen for sure in weeks past - but I noticed I could relatively easily navigate, even with the klutzy puppy running alongside, other dogs running around and the wind gusting at 40+mph. I noticed the difference only in hindsight and felt a rush of joy. Yippee, I'm walking!!! It may not be very fast or very pretty - but I'm walking!!!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Hair today gone tomorrow

Before you all begin to think I’m breezing completely through chemo, let me remind you of this:   For the most part I am bald. Or if not completely bald, fuzzy headed, and not in the way I think or am thinking, but in the appearance. A little like a hedgehog or a porcupine with bald patches. On Super Bowl Sunday while most of you were overeating or filling out those little squares to wager on the upcoming game, John and I were having a unique pre-game party. In front of our bathroom mirror with clippers and scissors. Preparing for the certainty of hair loss from my chemo, I decided to buzz my locks to lessen the shock and mess of of losing large chunks of my silver, shoulder-length hair. It was in all honesty one of the most poignant moments in our 30+  year marriage. I had originally asked my friend and former stylist if she could do it . But when I shared my plan with John, he said that he wanted to do it. Certainly that was not expected. So instead of watching th...