Skip to main content

Village People

Remember when Hillary Clinton caused such an uproar when she wrote that it 'takes it village' to raise a child? I think Jerry Falwell and Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich lambasted Clinton for believing such a communist ideology; I recall the argument that it was the parents right to raise a child as they saw fit.

The other day I saw a bumper sticker (wish I could find it because it would be on my bumper for sure) that read: "Forget the village, what about the parents?"

While I believe to my core that it is the parent's responsibility to raise a child, there are parents that cannot for a variety of reasons. We experienced a little of that this past spring when John was undergoing cancer treatment in Ann Arbor and we both needed to be away from home. Thankfully, my mom was able to come and be here with Matthew and Delaney. And there were many 'village people' out there helping to raise our children in countless ways. Big and small.

I overheard a conversation that my son Matthew was having about a dear friend of mine and a woman that became part of his village during the cancer treatment. He described Sherry as his second mother during that time - I cannot tell you how much it touched my heart and soul to hear. I had no idea before listening in the depth of his emotions and the level to which the village (in this case Sherry) stepped up for my dear, sweet son.

I am confident that if Michael and Delaney were to have similar conversations, I would hear similar tales of parenting from the village. I can almost imagine who those village people/parents might be. And here's the thing - I am okay with it. John and I are, and always will be, the parents - you know the ones that have the primary responsibility of raising our children. Yet there are other adults in the lives of all children that are watching out for them - in this case Sherry and others. We are blessed.

So, I applaud the previously mentioned bumper sticker - but I know that there are times when the village can gratefully step in for the three not-so-little Piggins. After all, parenting is sometimes difficult and it's nice to have a village to lean on. For my own village people, a heartfelt thank you for being there when John and I could not - to my Mom, Sherry White, Chris Kiger, Kris VanLoon, Karen Bush, Pam Edmunds, Lois Miller and the many others that I am unable to name. I love my village. People.

Comments

  1. As someone who has a village (and it's a rather large village), Eric and I do cherish each individual and their contributions to our daugters. Grace knows Polish words and loves Polish food from her cousins, Aunt Joanna, and Babcia (who although not Grace's grandma, comes often enough to visit her granddaugthers that Grace thinks of her as Babcia too). Grace eats Filipino food and tries to order it in restaurants because of my parents who feed her daily. Grace loves the library and all it has to offer because of her Grandma and Grandpa Hudson. Grace knows who Bumblebee is because Uncle Tim lets her watch movies with him. I can keep going and going....

    Our life is full of Grandma and Grandpas (blood-related and not), Aunts and Uncles (blood-related and not), and cousins (blood-related and not) - and while it may have it challenges at times, the positives far outweigh any of them.

    Eric and I do not take this for granted and thank God for all our blessings every day in giving us the family (blood-related and not) we have today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Hair today gone tomorrow

Before you all begin to think I’m breezing completely through chemo, let me remind you of this:   For the most part I am bald. Or if not completely bald, fuzzy headed, and not in the way I think or am thinking, but in the appearance. A little like a hedgehog or a porcupine with bald patches. On Super Bowl Sunday while most of you were overeating or filling out those little squares to wager on the upcoming game, John and I were having a unique pre-game party. In front of our bathroom mirror with clippers and scissors. Preparing for the certainty of hair loss from my chemo, I decided to buzz my locks to lessen the shock and mess of of losing large chunks of my silver, shoulder-length hair. It was in all honesty one of the most poignant moments in our 30+  year marriage. I had originally asked my friend and former stylist if she could do it . But when I shared my plan with John, he said that he wanted to do it. Certainly that was not expected. So instead of watching th...