Skip to main content

Little Black Havoc Wreaker

How can such a cute, little black puppy wreak so much havoc in such a short time?! If he gets bored, which he does when it's only me around, he finds all kinds of interesting ways to get my attention by destroying or attempting to destroy things not for his chewing . . . right now it's the cable to the old TV that's sitting in my office that John wants to get repaired and is now just taking up space. A lot of space.

Moments ago, it was the Solutions catalog. And moments before that it was the surge protector from the living room (thankfully nothing was currently plugged into it nor was it plugged into anything). And prior to that it was one of the pots for plants that I had stored on the porch. And shortly before that, it was the remote to the Wii.

I played with Wally for about 20 minutes and then decided I had time to get some work done - important stuff like unloading the dishwasher and checking my Facebook. Now, I'm wondering when is nap time!?

It's reminiscent of the toddler years - childproofing the house, trying to stay one step ahead of them, wondering about nap time and most important, picking your battles. Hence, the allowance of Wally chewing on the cable cord to the non-functioning TV that is sitting on the office floor. It might take some explanation later, but for now I know that my cousin found a mom cave for her mom and that several of my Facebook friends are dissatisfied with the election results. And isn't that what really counts???

No, maybe not - I 'll sign off now and go save the TV from certain destruction! And of course, Wally from ingesting stuff he shouldn't be eating!!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

The Glass may be half full - but the plate is overflowing!

I have written many blogs this week - but have posted none. Not one of them seemed to ring true to what I was thinking or feeling this past week - I have been too scattered, unable to focus and more than a little ADD. It's because my plate is overflowing! Matthew and the Saugatuck football team snagged a place on the field at Ford Field after a nail-biter today. All along, this was a team that wasn't predicted to go far this season; they were young and there weren't many of them. Each of the playoff games have been a gift - and for a couple days prior to these games it has been difficult for this new football fan to sleep. Stress!!! And then Delaney is in rehearsal for her first play at Holland High school - The Three Musketeers. She is in a different school and in many ways, especially during this playoff season, a different world! Her rehearsals are nightly, including Fridays and she has had to miss the playoff games.  I've had to arrange transportation for ou...