Skip to main content

Big Personalities

When I tell the three not-so-little Piggins or my ever-patient spouse that I will be 'right back' as I run into the local grocery or stop to visit a friend after church - they look at me, roll their eyes and comment something like "Yeah right back - more like in an hour!". And living in a small town, where you're likely to know nearly everyone in the grocery store, it's difficult for a social person to just ignore all the potential conversations you can have.

Matthew often has to work on Sundays and when he does, he leans over during the church service to remind me that we have to leave right after the service ends. There are often so many people that we need to chat with - especially since John's cancer treatment. It's not a rarity that we actually take two cars to church on Sunday - now that's pathetic since we live about a two miles away!

But come Monday, especially after a social Sunday, I will be a recluse. I won't answer the phone (and won't put on my reading glasses even to see who is calling!). I go into my turtle shell and hibernate. When we have had a particularly social stretch on the Piggins' calendar, I have been known to withdraw from the world for a day or two.

It's a fact that has bothered me lately. And then I pondered the reason - it's because I have such a big personality. I am an outgoing person. (I can almost hear the laughs as you read this, like this is something you didn't know!?).
My dear friend Lori seems to understand this more than most - she told me years ago how she goes into periods of seclusion because it takes a lot of energy being a big personality.

There was a time when I was actually kind of shy - honest. And then ninth grade and choir with Miss Combes and discovering Carol Burnett and Funny Girl - it was the perfect storm and it blew my shyness away. I discovered that I liked to make people smile or laugh when I was on the stage. As I became an adult, that need to be on the stage became instead the need to make others in the day-to-day, smile. And to genuinely make people feel good about themselves.

One of the gems I got out of the Rick Warren's "A Purpose Driven Life" is, I believe, that God wants me to use my big personality for His purpose. You won't find me prophesying - I'm just not comfortable or very good at quoting scripture. You will find me, though, reaching out with my Big Personality to those I feel need a smile or to feel loved. I love people and this big personality will reach out on a day-to-day basis to people in a loving way. And guided at all times by God and the Holy Spirit.

There was a time when I would try to temper my personality - I just wanted to 'fit in' or 'blend in' - but it never felt comfortable. And after reading, "A Purpose Driven Life" I knew why. God didn't give me this extroverted spirit to blend in or be a wall flower! So when I next have the need to hibernate, I will have to remind myself to get my big, fat personality out the door!

Comments

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Hair today gone tomorrow

Before you all begin to think I’m breezing completely through chemo, let me remind you of this:   For the most part I am bald. Or if not completely bald, fuzzy headed, and not in the way I think or am thinking, but in the appearance. A little like a hedgehog or a porcupine with bald patches. On Super Bowl Sunday while most of you were overeating or filling out those little squares to wager on the upcoming game, John and I were having a unique pre-game party. In front of our bathroom mirror with clippers and scissors. Preparing for the certainty of hair loss from my chemo, I decided to buzz my locks to lessen the shock and mess of of losing large chunks of my silver, shoulder-length hair. It was in all honesty one of the most poignant moments in our 30+  year marriage. I had originally asked my friend and former stylist if she could do it . But when I shared my plan with John, he said that he wanted to do it. Certainly that was not expected. So instead of watching th...