Skip to main content

The Glass may be half full - but the plate is overflowing!



I have written many blogs this week - but have posted none. Not one of them seemed to ring true to what I was thinking or feeling this past week - I have been too scattered, unable to focus and more than a little ADD.

It's because my plate is overflowing!

Matthew and the Saugatuck football team snagged a place on the field at Ford Field after a nail-biter today. All along, this was a team that wasn't predicted to go far this season; they were young and there weren't many of them. Each of the playoff games have been a gift - and for a couple days prior to these games it has been difficult for this new football fan to sleep. Stress!!!

And then Delaney is in rehearsal for her first play at Holland High school - The Three Musketeers. She is in a different school and in many ways, especially during this playoff season, a different world! Her rehearsals are nightly, including Fridays and she has had to miss the playoff games.  I've had to arrange transportation for our darling girl and then worry if she makes it home or there on time!

It's Thanksgiving - and I cannot focus on the holiday. While I have much to be thankful for - I cannot even fathom the whole Norman Rockwell holiday. There seems to be something more pressing to think about! Football and Three Musketeers (that's the play Delaney is in) - and having Michael home and what to do with Wally if we go to Detroit and the tickets for the play on the Friday after Thanksgiving and . . .

It's not even Thanksgiving and my plate is full, overflowing in fact! All good, I am seriously not complaining. I'm just wondering how to get everything out of this time in our lives when there doesn't seem to be enough time to get enough of everything . . .

Our year has been a difficult one - in fact John and I have said that we should write a book about it. To have all these blessings coming so close together after the year we have had is like a kid on sugar - I'm bouncing off the walls (mentally that is!). We were depleted of good things - until these past couple months and especially these past couple weeks.

This will be a Thanksgiving to remember - I can imagine we will be talking about if for the rest of our lives. It may not be a Norman Rockwell painting sort of Thanksgiving - but I suspect Norman didn't have a son playing football in the State Championship the day after Thanksgiving! If he did, he might have painted a picture of people eating turkey legs while sitting in the seats of Ford Field!

We started our year with a plate that was empty - devoid of anything it seemed. But we are certainly filling it now!

Comments

  1. Regardless of the outcome on Friday, this is a special year for the Indians and your family. The small northern Illinois community of Hebron (my hometown) won the Illinois state basketball tournament in 1952. People still remember the Giants!!
    The same will true for the Indians, too!!
    Good Luck and Go Saugatuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, to Marilyn above (below?)...I DO REMEMBER HEBRON...living in Champaign, my family always talked about that small little town!

    Kathleen, this Thanksgiving week is truly amazing. I think it has to speak of the power of prayer in some way. You and yours definitely had lots of prayers coming your way at the front of the year. Must have been some left over for Fall, huh?

    Congratulations, again, to Matthew! Back to old stomping grounds for the game, huh? Go, Saugatuck!!! And Congratulations to Delaney, too! Break a leg, Delaney!!!!

    Good thing we are not having an old-fashioned Bowen Thanksgiving...at your house...this year!!!!!!

    Love you all,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie:
    One footnote: when Hebron had to build a new watertower a few years back, they decided to have it serve a dual purpose...And, yes..it is round, and painted like to resemble a basketball with the reference to the '52 team!
    http://www.ihsa.org/store/books/hebron/team.htm
    for the internet link to the Cinderella team from 1952.
    Art

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...

Ten Year

When I was in junior high school, I staged a sit-in and learned about 'ten year'. This will come as a total surprise to most of you readers - I was not a perfectly well behaved child. I know, I know - you're shocked, amazed, in wonder how I could have turned out to be so well-behaved despite the oats sown in my youth.  And the sit-in is a perfect example of how I marched to the beat of my own drummer. Miss Brown was an English teacher - and not a very popular one. She would invoke the yardstick on wayward student's hands and scowl the moment we walked into the classroom. We weren't very kind to Miss Brown but then she wasn't very kind to us, either. Personally, the hardest part of having Miss Brown as an English teacher is that she nearly ruined my love of my favorite topic in school. It was the year we were to learn grammar (have I ever mentioned that as a writer I detest grammar?). I think some new way of teaching English was introduced and in all l...