Skip to main content

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling

I put my pride aside and got my ass off the grass and into the wheelchair.

{I spent a couple minutes deciding whether to put an exclamation mark after that declaration or to put the period after that statement. I think the period better suits my mood about getting said ass into the wheelchair!}

On July 4, Saugatuck has a wonderfully unique parade that includes quirky participants like the artsy-fartsy campers at OxBow art colony and the LGBT members of a local foundation along with the more traditional participants like Girl Scouts, fire trucks, and local politicians. It had been a couple years since I had been to the parade, this year, though, my Mom and sister were in town and I wanted to take them. So we loaded up in the van, including Kerri's wheelchair and my own. Once we parked, John asked if I wanted to use my chair and I initially balked but then remembered that it can be a long, hot parade and it might be better to have a place to sit. So, I acquiesced and took the chair.

Kerri has MS also (she was in her early 20s when she was diagnosed) and has been using a wheelchair for many years now. Plus, she's a natural teacher so with Kerri there to guide me in wheelchair navigation I got into the chair. I struggled to keep the chair going in the direction I wanted - it's a lot trickier than it looks! Thankfully, John was there to right my course and keep me from bumping into buildings or falling off the curbs!

Once we arrived at a good viewing spot, I was grateful for a place to sit. I kept my pride in check as friends and neighbors walked by and stopped to chat. It may not seem like much, but I didn't make excuses for sitting in my wheelchair and despite a few quizzical looks no one asked, "What's with the chair?"

It was a good first official outing for this reluctant 'gimp'. (I wish not to offend - but I use the term gimp often and with humor since I dislike 'disabled' or other more serious descriptors.)

It was so good, that when we ventured to the Waterfront Art Festival on Saturday, I again used the chair though I often stood behind it to better navigate the grass and crowded aisles between the exhibitors. Bolstered in confidence with Kerri by my side and John there to push when needed, I felt even less conspicuous than at the parade.

It is my new reality - and one that will take some time to get used to with little baby steps. Or in this case, little baby wheelings!

I have had MS for 21 years and for most of that time, have been free of any noticeable physical challenges. About seven years ago, I started walking with a more pronounced "Igor Shuffle" where my right leg dragged especially when I was tired. And five years ago, I began to fall occasionally and that precipitated my need to get a cane that I reluctantly, and rarely, used. Three years ago, I reluctantly though always used that damn cane. And last January, I bravely asked my neurologist for a prescription for the chair. That I used once in four months. I am slow to embrace what is obviously needed!

While still able to walk, I cannot with any guarantee walk for very long without falling. The mantra the plays in my head is "Don't fall, don't fall . . ." 
It is a fear of falling more than anything else that has me rolling now - and pride that has prevented me from such a seemingly simple solution (say that fast three times - 'such a seemingly simple solution. such a . . .'). I will walk with my damn cane when I can but now I will occasionally rely on the damn chair, too. I can't let pride prevent me from going out-and-about. Because this big personality is too big to stay at home!


Comments

  1. It was a pleasure to chat with you and John downtown at the Waterfront Art Festival on July 6. Obviously it was at least your 2nd brave foray in wheelchair into the broader community. Thank you for your courage and your companionship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And again, I love you! You are my hero. Have been since 1980. Grateful you were brought in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's not a popularity contest, but ...

Lefties and Other Exceptional People

I have had the opportunity to do a lot of driving lately - back-and-forth to Wabash College and to-and-from Holland, Grand Rapids and East Lansing. It's given me lots of time to think and ponder the greater mysteries of the world; like the purpose of life, why my thumbnails always break first, the speed at which a state police officer will actually pull you over for and the theory of relativity. Oh, not THE theory of Relativity - with a capital 'R", created by Mr. Genius Einstein. No, my own theory of relativity - with a lower case 'r'. Created by this less-than-genius mother of three and wife of one! My theory is that the absolute worst drivers are those that drive exclusively in the left lane (I call them lefties) and the ones that believe the rules of the road apply to everyone except them (I call them exceptional people). I call it my own theory of relativity because these drivers are relatively unaware of how to drive. You know the ones that are going the spe...

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights were blazing last week - when for the first time in the history of our little town, the Saugatuck Indians clinched the district title! You can see the sheer joy on Matthew's face and the pride in his father's eyes in the picture above. Leading up to and during the game, there were several things that made the victory even more sweet. The first being that the sports writers in the area, to a person, all predicted the opponents, Climax-Scotts, to win. They'd had a perfect season - until Friday. The second was that we had to travel quite a distance (nearly 90 minutes) to get to the game. And the weather was frigid and snow was blowing - thankfully it was blowing towards the Climax-Scotts stands and was at our backs. And then our quarterback injured his shoulder and had to sit out for a good portion of the game. Thankfully, the replacement quarterback (a sophomore called up for the playoffs from the junior varsity team) did not let the stress effect his ...

The world according to Gimp

  I understand that there are those who may believe my use of the term 'gimp' is derogatory or demeaning. I do not use it lightly or to belittle anyone, it's just a lot easier for me to than 'disabled' or 'handicapped' because it uses a little snark or humor to something that could use a little of that. Or in this case, I specifically want to make light of my situation so that it doesn't feel depressing. For you or me. Let me try to explain.  One of my pet peeves is the look of sympathy I get from well-meaning people. Like, "Aw, sweetie, I am so sorry that you are less abled, confined to a wheelchair and less able to live the full, active life that I lead."  I am in a wheelchair most of the time and my life is different because of that but in truth I never wanted to run a marathon of play pickleball or climb Mt. Baldhead (I've done the latter too many times usually bringing up the rear of the group I was with and/or being cheered on by the ...